A freezer connected to a refrigerator may not be able to hold all of your frozen foods. If you have a family of reasonable size and entertain frequently, or if you like to bake and want to store sourdough for a rainy day, you may need extra space, such as a chest freezer. The Best 5 cu ft Chest Freezer are value-added appliances that use the top seal to freeze and keep fresh the food and other items inside.
Because of the airtight seal, less energy is required to refrigerate and store the food, saving money on monthly utility bills.
There are many chest freezers on the market, some with state-of-the-art features such as precise frost-free temperature control and enhanced LED lighting. To show you why investing in such a useful appliance can be a very wise purchase, we’ve put together a guide to the five best chest freezers that will give you the ideal space and cold to store your food.
Also Read: Best Ice Cream Maker For Home
Best 5 cu ft. Chest Freezer
Chest freezers can hold the most food per square foot. The doors on this type of freezer are mounted along the rear edge of the cabinet and swing vertically for a tight seal. In a chest freezer, cold air stays low when the door is opened and does not escape as quickly as it does in an upright freezer. Compared to other types of freezers, chest freezers are less prone to freezer burn.
Smaller chest freezers and mini-freezers are useful when you cannot fit a week’s worth of frozen food in your refrigerator freezer or when you want to store summer items and enjoy them in the winter as well.
Vertical freezers make it easy to get food in and out. Upright freezers have doors that open horizontally, just like a refrigerator. These freezers have a storage system inside the door and adjustable shelves, giving you more space for food. Upright freezers have a smaller footprint than chest freezers, making them ideal for garages and small basements.
Also Read: Best Toaster Oven for Baking
Questions to ask yourself
What is my food budget?
If you buy in bulk, an extra freezer is helpful; one cubic foot of freezer space can hold about 35 pounds of food. To determine the size of the freezer you need for your family, we suggest multiplying the number of people in your family by 2.5 cubic feet.
What are my meal preparation habits?
You can benefit from an extra freezer by cooking and freezing fresh and seasonal foods. Farmers, gardeners, hunters, etc. can all benefit from extra freezer storage space.
How much space do we have in our home?
Freezers should be conveniently located away from heat sources, especially sunny windows, to ensure they function efficiently. Consider the width of the door as well as the size of the space to determine the size of the freezer you can purchase.
Which freezer is best for my garage?
Chest freezers and upright freezers work well in garages. Check the specifications of the freezer you are considering to see if it can operate above or below room temperature. Upright freezers require less horizontal space than chest freezers.
Also Read: Best Food Processor for Nut Butters
Best 5 cu ft. Chest Freezer | Comparison Table 2023
Top Quality | 5 Star Pick | Great Price
|Black Arctic King 5 cu.ft Chest Freezer||Generic||Check Price|
|Midea MRC050S0AWW Chest Freezer, 5.0 Cubic Feet, White||Midea||Check Price|
|Galanz GLF50CWED01 Manual Defrost Chest Freezer, Mechanical Temperature Control, White, 5.0 Cu Ft||Galanz||Check Price|
|Magic Chef 5.0 Cu Ft Chest Freezer||Magic Chef||Check Price|
|Insignia - 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer - White||ICF||Check Price|
|Igloo ICFMD50WH 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer With Removable Basket, Free-Standing Door, Temperature Ranges From -10° to 10° F, Front Defrost Water Drain, Perfect For Homes, Garages, Basements, RVs, White||Igloo||Check Price|
|Koolatron Compact Chest Freezer, 5.0 cu ft (155L), White, Manual Defrost Deep Freeze, Storage Basket, Space-Saving Flat Back, Stay-Open Lid, Front-Access Defrost Drain, for Apartment, Condo, Cottage||Koolatron||Check Price|
|Chest Freezer Deep Freezer for Garage 5.0 Cu.Ft Compact Freezer Only Adjustable 7 Thermostat and Removable Basket Energy Saving for Garage Basement Dorm Apartment Kitchen Business||WANAI||Check Price|
|Smad Deep Chest Freezer 5 Cu.ft Low Noise Top Open Freezer with Removable Hanging Basket Auto Hold Door Hinges Front Drain, White||Smad||Check Price|
Prices and images pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Best 5 cu ft. Chest Freezer | Reviews 2023
1. Black Arctic King Best 5 cu ft Chest Freezer
- Arctic King 5 cu.ft Chest Freezer Black
- Removable storage basket for the smaller items you use the most
- Easy-access defrost drain and easy-clean interior and gasket make maintaining this unit an easy job
- Black color goes well in any garage, basement or kitchen
- This higher-energy-efficiency model will use only an estimated 218 kWh a year
- Double-layer packaging ensures safe delivery
- Dimensions: L 24.9 x W 21.7 H 33.5
- 5.0 cu ft chest freezer has a 1-year warranty
- Model#: ARC050S0ARBB
- The freezer is shipped in double-layer packaging to ensure safe delivery. Its covered under a one-year warranty for added convenience.
- The 5.0 cu ft chest freezer is also incredibly energy efficient, using just an estimated 218 kilowatts of power for an entire year.
The Arctic King Chest Freezer 5 cu ft (Black) is a freestanding chest freezer with a capacity of 5 cubic feet. It has a black color and is made of stainless steel. The dimensions of the freezer are 21.7 inches in depth, 24.9 inches in width, and 33.5 inches in height.
The door hinges are located on the top of the freezer. The product is Energy Star certified, indicating that it meets energy efficiency standards.
- Large capacity of 5 cubic feet
- Energy Star certified
- Stainless Steel door material
- Top door hinges
- Freestanding design
- No batteries included
- No batteries required
- Black color may not fit with all kitchen decor
2. Midea : 5 cu ft Chest Freezer
- Mechanical Control with Adjustable Thermostat from -12 to -28 Degrees (Great for Storing Frozen Food, Ice Cream, Ice, etc)
- Contains 1 Hanging Wire Storage Basket
- Hinge-Style Door Remains Open from 45 to 75 Degree Angles
- External Product Dimensions: 24.7 X 21.7 X 33.5(inch)
- Full 1-Year / Compressor 2-Year Warranty
- Capacity 5 Cubic Feet
- Noise 42 dB
- Special Features Easy access defrost drain, Adjustable thermostat, Balance hinge design, Removable storage basket, Easy to clean interior
- Wattage 120 watts
- Door Material Type Steel
- Color White
The Midea MRC050S0AWW Chest Freezer is a 5.0 cubic feet white freezer that is perfect for storing frozen food, ice cream, and ice. It features mechanical control with an adjustable thermostat that can be set between -12 to -28 degrees.
The freezer comes with a hanging wire storage basket and a hinge-style door that remains open from 45 to 75-degree angles. The external dimensions of the freezer are 24.7 x 21.7 x 33.5 inches. The product comes with a full 1-year warranty on the unit and a 2-year warranty on the compressor.
- Mechanical control with adjustable thermostat
- Contains 1 hanging wire storage basket
- The hinge-style door remains open from 45 to 75-degree angles
- Full 1-year / Compressor 2-year warranty
- Easy access defrost drain
- Noise level of 42 dB
- Freestanding installation type
- Climate classification is not mentioned
3. Galanz GLF50CWED01 Manual Defrost Chest Freezer
- 【COMPACT SIZE & LARGE CAPACITY】 Galanz chest freezer has a space-saving design, the dimensions are 29.69 * 33.27 * 22.20 (W*D* H), 5.0 cubic feet capacity is perfectly sized to keep your favorite beverage cool, fruit or other food fresh.
- 【ADJUSTABLE MECHANICAL THERMOSTAT CONTROL】This thoughtful chest freezer offers an adjustable thermostat control to keep your frozen items. Plus 3 indicator lights so you know the status of the freezer without having to open the lid.
- 【FREE STORAGE BASKET & WATER DRAIN】 Each freezer comes with a sliding easily storage basket, which keeps smaller items readily available, and prevents them from being crushed by other items; Water drain for easy draining and manual defrosting.
- 【ENERGY SAVING】 The chest freezer uses the R600a high-efficiency and low-energy compressor, which can cool quickly and has low vibration and noise. It can cool food quickly with lower energy.
- 【PACKAGE INCLUDES】 1 x Chest Freezer; 1 x Wire Baskets; 1 x Power Cord.
- Item Weight 60.5 pounds
- Special Features Mechanical Temperature Control, Capacity: 5.0 Cu. Ft., DOE standard, Manual Defrost, Recessed Handle
- Included Components 1 x Chest Freezer; 1 x Wire Baskets; 1 x Power Cord.
The Galanz GLF50CWED01 is a compact, white chest freezer with a 5.0 cubic feet capacity. It features an adjustable mechanical thermostat control, 3 indicator lights, and a sliding storage basket for easy organization.
The freezer also has a water drain for easy draining and manual defrosting. It uses the R600a high-efficiency and low-energy compressor, which cools quickly and has low vibration and noise, making it an energy-efficient option. The package includes the chest freezer, a wire basket, and a power cord.
- Compact size and large capacity
- Adjustable mechanical thermostat control
- Free storage basket and water drain
- Manual defrosting
- Manual defrosting
- No automatic defrosting
- No door lock
4. Magic Chef 5.0 Cu Ft Chest Freezer
- The Magic Chef 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer will let you stock up on all your extra favorite is frozen foods.
- Door Hinges Top
- Adjustable Temperature Thermostat Control
- Defrost Water Drain
- Recessed Door Handle
- Manual Defrost
- Interior LED Light
- Interior Divider
- Part Number HMCF5W4
- The easy-to-clean interior makes manual defrosting a breeze and the removable storage basket gives you customizable storage options.
- The integrated easy-to-operate control panel ensures that your food is always at the perfect temperature
The Magic Chef 5.0 Cu Ft Chest Freezer is a compact and efficient storage solution for frozen goods. With a capacity of 5 cubic feet, it is perfect for small spaces such as apartments or garages. The freezer features manual defrost, top door hinges, and a stainless steel door for durability and easy cleaning. The freezer also has a 115-volt power supply and comes in white color.
This chest freezer is perfect for those with limited space, as it can fit in tight spaces. It is also easy to clean, maintain and manage because of the manual defrost feature. The freezer has a spacious capacity of 5 cubic feet which is perfect for storing large amounts of frozen goods. Additionally, the stainless steel door is durable and can withstand scratches and dings.
- Compact and efficient storage solution for frozen goods.
- Perfect for small spaces such as apartments or garages.
- Manual defrost for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Stainless steel door for durability and easy cleaning.
- 115-volt power supply.
- Only the manual defrost option is available.
- Only available in white color.
- No additional features.
5. Insignia - 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer
- Deep freeze your food and keep it tasting fresh with this 5.0 cubic foot chest freezer.
- Mechanical control with adjustable thermostat
- This Insignia 5.0 cu. ft. chest freezer stores any excess meat, vegetables and other foods that you dont have space for in your fridge.
- A removable storage basket keeps your food organized so you can find all your items.
- Have confidence that your food is stored correctly by adjusting the temperature control panel
- When its time for dinner, youre sure to find everything you need.
- Removable wire storage basket: Provides an extra layer of storage space that slides or lifts out of the way when arranging items.
- Defrost drain:While defrosting, the chest freezer routes the melted ice inside your freezer toward the drain for easy cleanup.
- Mechanical temperature knob:The easy-to-use control knob lets you adjust the temperature from about 10°F to -10°F (-12°C to -23°C).
The Insignia 5.0 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer is a white-colored, chest-style freezer with a capacity of 5 cubic feet. It has an exterior mechanical dial temperature control, adjustable leveling legs, and an interior light. The freezer has a temperature range of 10°F to -10°F and has a manual defrost system. The freezer also includes one lift-out bulk storage basket, drain, and power cord.
The product dimensions are 33.5 inches in height, 24.9 inches in width, and 24.9 inches in depth. With a weight of 55 pounds, it is a compact and convenient option for a variety of storage needs. The estimated annual electricity use for this freezer is 218-kilowatt hours, with an estimated annual operating cost of 26 United States dollars.
- 5 cubic feet of storage capacity.
- Manual defrost system.
- Adjustable, mechanical dial temperature control.
- Interior light.
- Adjustable leveling legs.
- No child lock feature.
- No convertible to the refrigerator.
- No defrost indicator.
6. Igloo ICFMD35WH6A Best 5 cu ft Chest Freezer
- SPACIOUS CAPACITY: The 5 cu. ft. capacity provides you with the extra storage for all your frozen goods such as meat, pizza, cold drinks, fruits and vegetables, and ice cream – making it perfect for homes, basements, garages, RVs, and more
- QUICK FREEZING SYSTEM: The D-Type Refrigeration tube has more surface area, a larger heat exchange area, and higher efficiency, allowing the freezer to get colder faster than other chest freezers. The aluminum-lined interior with a heavy-duty gasket also creates a tight seal, preventing cold air from escaping
- ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT: The adjustable thermostat is easy to access and features a minimum/maximum control dial that allows your temperature to be controlled from -10 to 10 °F
- REMOVABLE WIRE BASKET: Convenient hanging coated wire storage basket easily removes and slides for easier organization and helps you keep smaller items readily available so they don’t get lost
- BALANCED HINGE-STYLED DOOR: Built-in strong and balanced metal hinges lets you keep the freezer door open at different angles (45-90 degrees), allowing you to work hands-free while preventing the door from dropping
- LOW NOISE: High-efficient foam is used to help insulate the interior and lid keeps the noise low, allowing for a super-quiet operation
- LED LIGHTS: Features an LED Light located next to the thermostat dial to let you know that your unit is powered on and running
- RECESSED HANDLE: Recessed door handles give the freezer a sleek and modern appearance and makes opening and closing the lid easy
- GARAGE FRIENDLY: Freezer will continue to run even when the outside temperature is as low as 23 ° F, allowing you to store your freezer in basements and some garages
- SMART WATER DEFROST DRAIN: Water drain is in the front, ensuring a clear path for water to travel during defrosting
This Igloo chest freezer offers 5 cubic feet of storage space, making it perfect for homes, garages, basements, and RVs. It features a quick freezing system with a D-Type refrigeration tube for efficient cooling, and an adjustable thermostat that allows you to set the temperature between -10 and 10 degrees Fahrenheit. The freezer also has a removable wire basket for organization and a balanced hinge-styled door that can be kept open at different angles for hands-free use.
One of the key advantages of this chest freezer is its spacious capacity, which allows you to store a variety of frozen goods such as meat, pizza, fruits, and vegetables. The quick freezing system and efficient refrigeration tube also make it easy to quickly chill items and keep them at the desired temperature. The removable wire basket is another convenient feature, as it allows you to easily organize and access smaller items. The balanced hinge-styled door also adds to the freezer's functionality and convenience.
- Spacious 5 cubic feet storage capacity.
- A quick freezing system with an efficient refrigeration tube.
- Adjustable thermostat with a temperature range of -10 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Removable wire basket for the organization.
- Balanced hinge-styled door for hands-free use.
- Exterior dimensions may not be suitable for some spaces.
- Only available in white color.
- The temperature range may not be suitable for all.
7. Koolatron Compact Chest Freezer
- 5.0 cu ft (142 L) Capacity: Space-saving flat-back deep freeze with a narrow footprint and 5.0 cubic foot (142 liter) capacity offers plenty of storage for your frozen goods so you can reduce food waste and save money
- Energy-Efficient Manual Defrost: Manual defrost freezers use up to 40 percent less energy and keep food fresh longer; Front-access defrost drain allows for hassle-free draining when defrosting or cleaning
- Removable Storage Basket: Organize your contents and keep small and commonly used items easily accessible with a hanging wire basket made of corrosion-resistant vinyl-coated wire
- Convenient Stay-Open Lid: Freezer lid opens easily with one hand and stays open for as long as you need; rear-mounted hinges prevent the lid from hitting the wall and ensure a tight seal when closed
- Reliable Compressor Cooling: Dependable, efficient compressor technology, external thermostat control dial, and strong magnetic lid seal maintain your freezers temperature between 0 and -24C (32 and -11.2F)
- Koolatron Compact Chest Freezer, 5.0 cu ft (155L), White, Manual Defrost Deep Freeze, Storage Basket, Space-Saving Flat Back, Stay-Open Lid
- Compact top-opening freezer is ideal for storing meat, leftovers, frozen meals, and more, and fits perfectly in your basement, storage, or laundry room.
The Koolatron Compact Chest Freezer is a space-saving deep freeze with a capacity of 5.0 cubic feet (142 liters). It features a flat-back design, making it perfect for apartments, condos, or cottages. The freezer comes with a manual defrost system and an easy-access drain for hassle-free draining when defrosting or cleaning. It also has a removable storage basket that is made of corrosion-resistant vinyl-coated wire which allows you to organize your contents and keep small and commonly used items easily accessible.
The freezer lid opens easily with one hand and stays open for as long as you need, and the rear-mounted hinges prevent the lid from hitting the wall and ensure a tight seal when closed. The freezer also comes with a reliable compressor cooling, external temperature control dial, and strong magnetic lid seal that maintains the freezer's temperature between 0 and -24C (32 and -11.2F). The foam-insulated cabinet and lid, and magnetic closure keep the cold air inside where it belongs to maintain a stable storage environment.
- Space-saving flat-back design
- Manual defrost with easy-access drain
- Removable storage basket
- Convenient stay-open lid
- Reliable compressor cooling
- Manual defrost only
- No automatic temperature control
- No built-in light
8. WANAI Chest Freezer Kitchen Business
- 【BIG CAPACITY STORAGE】WANAI 5.0 cubic feet chest freezer measures 26.18(L) x 17.51(W) x 30.31(H) which is perfectly sized to keep your food frozen while taking up minimal space, suitable for party, food storage, and fast cooling.
- 【TEMP CONTROL & EFFICIENT COOLING】 You can choose between freezing or refrigerating function. 7 level temperature adjustment; Level 1-2: refrigerator temp from 32℉ to 50℉, best temp for beverage and fruits; Level 3-7: freezer temp from -11.2℉ to 32℉, suitable for meat, seafood, ice cream.
- 【ENERGY SAVING】Unlike many other models on the market, WANAI 5.0 cubic feet small chest freezer has little energy consumption of 0.67 kWh/24h. This not only means WANAI deep freezers are more environmentally friendly but they also allow you to save on your next energy bill.
- 【PERFECTLY QUIET】Unlike other chest freezers, WANAI Chest Freezer combines a modern design with a whisper-quiet R600a compressor which means you can say goodbye to low-level hums and enjoy the sound of silence. Feel more relaxed in your own home with reduced noise distractions. Opening and closing the door without noise. TIP: please put the mini freezer upright for at least 24 hours before using it.
- 【EVERYTHING WE DO IS TO SATISFY YOU】Thanks to every customer for choosing WANAI and trust in WANAI. Our customer service is online 24 hours, and we are dedicated to solving every after-sales problem for you. To ensure you experience the best service, if there are any questions about our products, please feel free to contact us, we will provide you with a satisfactory answer.
The WANAI Chest Freezer is a 5.0 cubic feet chest freezer that measures 26.18''(L) x 17.51''(W) x 30.31''(H) and is perfect for storing food while taking up minimal space. It has a 7 level temperature adjustment feature that allows you to choose between freezing or refrigerating functions. The freezer temperature can be set from -11.2℉ to 32℉, which is suitable for meat, seafood, and ice cream.
The refrigerator temperature can be set from 32℉ to 50℉, which is best for beverages and fruits. This freezer is designed to be energy-efficient with a low energy consumption of 0.67 kWh/24h. Additionally, it is designed to be perfectly quiet with a whisper-quiet R600a compressor.
- Big capacity storage
- Temperature control and efficient cooling
- Energy saving
- Perfectly quiet
- Satisfying customer service
- Have to wait for 24 hours before using it
- No lock
- Smaller than other models on the market
9. Smad Deep Chest Freezer
- ❉5 cu.ft capacity chest freezer measures 25’’L x 21.6’’W x 33.5’’H, enough for families of 3~5 persons; Foot is adjustable so you can move it around or place it on uneven surface
- ❉High efficiency and low noise, cooling range from -4°F to 6.8°F, easily change the temperature by using the adjustable thermostat; Whisper quiet compressor works without much noise, will never disturb your rest
- ❉Features a hanging wire storage basket, divide your light crisp food from others and help to keep your items staying organized; Interior aluminum liner makes it easy to clean
- ❉Top open door, auto-hold door hinges can be held between 45° and 90°, which provides hands-free use for your ultimate convenience; Front drain valve to keep you away from the inconvenience of drainage
- ❉SMAD SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - We stand behind our products and pride ourselves on exceptional customer service care. You enjoy a 1-YEAR WARRANTY and just feel free to contact us in need at any time
- Smad Deep Chest Freezer 5 Cu.ft Low Noise Top Open Freezer with Removable Hanging Basket
- Auto Hold Door Hinges Front Drain
The Smad Deep Chest Freezer is a 5 cu.ft capacity chest freezer that measures 25”D x 21.6”W x 33.5”H, making it suitable for families of 3-5 persons. It features a high efficiency and low noise cooling range from -4°F to 6.8°F and an adjustable thermostat for easy temperature control. The compressor works quietly, ensuring that it won't disturb your rest. It comes with a hanging wire storage basket that keeps your items organized and an interior aluminum liner that makes it easy to clean.
The top open door has auto-hold door hinges that can be held between 45° and 90° for hands-free use, and it also features a front drain valve for convenience. Smad offers a 1-year warranty for this product and prides itself on its exceptional customer service.
- 5 cu.ft capacity
- Adjustable foot for uneven surfaces
- Low noise operation
- Hanging wire storage basket
- Auto-hold door hinges
- Interior aluminum liner for easy cleaning
- Only comes in white color
- Plastic door material
- Only one size option is available
How To Choose The Best 5 cu ft. Chest Freezer | Ultimate Guide 2023
Some upright freezers with automatic defrosting will sound an alarm if the inside of the freezer becomes too hot.
We have found some freezers with this feature (useful if children are present) to block access or prevent the door from being left open.
Manual or automatic defrost
Manual defrost freezers (chest models only) are generally more energy efficient and less prone to freezer burn than automatic defrost freezers (upright models have manual or automatic defrost). It is wise to avoid ice buildup on freezer walls, as this can reduce efficiency and increase electricity costs.
Note that it can take several hours to defrost. Upright freezers with manual defrost, on the other hand, seem to struggle to cool door shelves as well as the rest of the cabinet, with temperatures ranging from 9 to 19 degrees Celsius. Upright freezers with automatic defrosting successfully cool the door shelves as well as the rest of the freezer, eliminating the inconvenience of proactive defrosting.
You can tell at a glance whether the freezer is on or off without having to open the door to let the cold air escape. Most models are equipped with this feature and we believe it should be universal.
There are four basic types of freezer sizes
- Compact: 5 cubic feet
- Small: 6 to 9 cubic feet
- Medium: 12 to 18 cubic feet
- Large: 18 cubic feet or larger
In general, small and compact freezers provide enough storage for a household of three people. If you feed a large family or prepare meals frequently, you may need a medium or large freezer. Consider the size of the freezer to ensure that large items that may need to be frozen, such as frozen turkey or pizza, will fit in the freezer.
If you just need to make ice, stand-alone ice machines are available in a variety of sizes, from small machines for personal use to large machines for commercial use.
Compartment Dividers and Tiered Trays
In chest freezers, plastic vertical dividers and sliding trays on shelves help organize stored food.
If you are considering placing a freezer in a living space, consider its noise level (and also consider its appearance). Most manufacturers claim that freezers can be used indoors up to 110° Fahrenheit, but if you are considering placing them in an unheated area, such as a garage, check the product specifications. Make sure the unit is not exposed to temperatures above 110°F or below 0°F.
Freezers, whether upright or horizontal, come in three basic sizes:
- compact or small (5-9 cubic feet)
- medium (12-18 cubic feet)
- large (18+ cubic feet)
Upright freezers feature a smaller footprint for equivalent storage space. In our testing, we found five small freezers that we could rely on.
Most manufacturers' freezers claim to be able to keep food properly frozen for 24 hours if the power is turned off and the freezer is not opened. However, tests of extended power outages found that some vertical appliances allow relatively large temperature increases in as little as nine hours.
Most of the freezers we tested maintained consistent temperatures. Upright freezers with manual defrost were the exception. With no fan to circulate the cold air, the temperature of the shelves inside was 9 to 19 degrees Celsius higher than in the other freezers.
Don't expect your new freezer to be as energy efficient as the yellow label on the energy guide suggests. That's because our tests are more stringent and closer to real-world conditions than the tests specified by the U.S. Department of Energy. Energy Star products must meet certain government standards for energy efficiency.
Size And Capacity
Chest freezers are usually 2 to 4 feet wide and 3 to 6 feet long. Obviously, a 5-by-3-foot appliance will not fit in a fourth basement space, so measure the available space to see if the chest of drawers you prefer will fit. Measure the space where the freezer will be installed and all door openings leading into that space to ensure that the freezer can be installed in the chosen location.
Most chest freezers have a capacity of 5 to 20 cubic feet; one cubic foot will hold about 35 pounds of cut or wrapped meat. Bone-in meats take up more space because of their irregular shape. It doesn't make sense to have a freezer that doesn't hold everything or is taking up unnecessary space.
To choose the right freezer capacity, consider the times of the year when you usually have a lot of food, such as holidays, after harvest, and after hunting season. Take inventory of what you will be stored to determine the best capacity.
Also Read: Best Blender for Protein Shakes with Ice
Temperature control is factory-set for reliability but can be custom adjusted with the manual temperature controller inside the unit. Lower temperatures are better suited for long-term storage, and lower temperatures may be better suited for storing ice cream in scooped form. Some freezers have zone temperature control systems that allow for varying storage capacities.
Some newer upright freezers have an average temperature range of 10 to -10 degrees Fahrenheit, with cooler settings available. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that frozen foods be stored below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. The optimal storage temperature for long-term freshness is -10 to -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Chest freezers have two types of defrosting: automatic defrosting, called defrosting, and manual defrosting. Correct and regular defrosting eliminates ice buildup and allows the equipment to operate more efficiently. Choosing a freezer with automatic defrosting eliminates the need for additional chores.
Frost-free chest freezers automatically defrost about once a day. During the defrost cycle, the temperature change in the food compartment is only a slight increase of about 2 degrees. This small change does not affect the quality of the food.
Also Read: Best Milk Steamer for Home Use
Look for the Energy Star label. Energy Star-certified freezers operate 10% more efficiently than the federal minimum standards. These models use about 395 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity and cost less than $50 per year to operate. Energy-efficient upright freezers use advanced technology, high-performance features, and improved design and insulation over standard equipment.
One of the energy-efficient design features is magnetic sealing. Instead of simple rubber seals, some incorporate magnetic strips for improved sealing. The magnet not only prevents air from leaking outside through the gap but also pulls the door completely apart if it is unintentionally closed.
Another energy-saving feature is the air temperature monitor. This feature alerts the owner if the internal temperature reaches a level that could be dangerous for food storage.
Also Read: Best Pizzelle Makers
Disadvantages of Freezer Boxes
Of course, chest freezers are not suitable for everyone or for all uses.
- Chest freezers require more floor space - While some freezers are upright and have a smaller footprint and can provide additional storage space on top if needed, chest freezers do not. Instead, chest freezers take up valuable floor space, which can be problematic if your home is small. Because of the access hatch, you cannot stack anything on top of the freezer.
- Chest freezers lack flexibility in the organization - Chest freezers are usually just large boxes that circulate cold air. Items that you want to keep frozen are kept in the box. This can make it difficult to organize your frozen items. While other freezers have shelves, drawers, and storage space to help you stay organized, chest freezers do not. As a result, you may have to dig through piles of frozen goods to find what you need.
- Chest freezers are very plain looking - the latest upright freezers, for example, are sleek and attractive appliances that look right at home in a kitchen or laundry room. Chest freezers are half as attractive. As such, they have often hidden away in garages or basements, which is fine if you have the space, but not a good choice if you have limited storage space. This means that sometimes you have to go to the back room to get something out of the freezer, rather than rummaging through the kitchen cupboards.
Also Read: Best Meat Slicers for Home Use
Which brand of chest freezer is most reliable?
There are several reliable brands of chest freezers on the market, and the choice of the most reliable brand will depend on your specific needs and preferences. However, some of the most well-known and reputable brands of chest freezers include:
- Frigidaire - Frigidaire is a well-known and respected brand that offers a variety of chest freezers in different sizes and capacities. They are known for their quality and reliability, and many of their models come with a range of useful features.
- GE - GE is another popular brand that offers a range of chest freezers, including small, medium, and large models. They are known for their durability and reliability, and many of their models come with advanced features like temperature control and LED lighting.
- Whirlpool - Whirlpool is a trusted brand that offers a variety of chest freezers in different sizes and capacities. They are known for their energy efficiency and durability, and many of their models come with features like adjustable temperature control and a fast-freeze setting.
- Haier - Haier is a well-respected brand that offers a range of chest freezers, including compact and full-size models. They are known for their energy efficiency and reliability, and many of their models come with features like a lockable lid and a removable basket.
Ultimately, the most reliable brand of chest freezer will depend on your specific needs and preferences, as well as factors like the size of the freezer and the features you require. It is important to do your research and read reviews from other customers before making a purchase to ensure you choose a high-quality and reliable brand.
How long do chest freezers typically last?
The lifespan of a chest freezer can vary depending on several factors such as usage, maintenance, and the quality of the unit. However, on average, a well-maintained chest freezer can last for 10 to 20 years.
Regular maintenance of the chest freezer, such as defrosting it periodically, cleaning the interior and exterior, and keeping it in a well-ventilated space, can help extend its lifespan. Additionally, using the chest freezer according to the manufacturer's instructions, avoiding overloading it, and keeping the temperature at the recommended level can also help prolong its lifespan.
It's important to note that if you notice any signs of wear and tear, such as strange noises, frost buildup, or temperature fluctuations, it may be a sign that your chest freezer needs repair or replacement. Regularly inspecting your chest freezer and addressing any issues promptly can help ensure it lasts as long as possible.
How often should I defrost my chest freezer?
The frequency of defrosting your chest freezer depends on several factors such as the usage of the freezer, the amount of frost buildup, and the model of the freezer. As a general rule of thumb, you should defrost your chest freezer when the frost buildup reaches a thickness of 1/4 inch (6mm) or more.
In general, manual-defrost chest freezers should be defrosted at least once or twice a year, or more frequently if the frost buildup is excessive. It is recommended to check the freezer periodically for signs of frost buildup, such as difficulty closing the lid, reduced storage space, or higher energy consumption.
Some chest freezers also come with automatic defrosting features, which can help reduce the need for manual defrosting. If your chest freezer has an automatic defrost feature, you may still need to check and remove any excess frost buildup that accumulates over time.
It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for defrosting your chest freezer to avoid damaging the unit. Always unplug the freezer before defrosting and use a towel or a bucket to catch the water as the ice melts. Once the defrosting process is complete, wipe the interior of the freezer with a clean, damp cloth, and allow it to dry completely before plugging it back in and restoring the food items.
Is the freezer worth it?
Whether a freezer is worth it or not depends on your individual needs and circumstances. A freezer can be a great investment for many households, as it allows you to store more food and groceries, reduces waste, and can save you money in the long run by allowing you to take advantage of sales and buy in bulk.
If you have a large family, cook at home frequently, or like to store frozen meals, a freezer can be a very useful addition to your home. Similarly, if you have a garden and like to freeze fruits and vegetables, a freezer can help you preserve your harvest and enjoy fresh produce throughout the year.
However, if you live alone, eat out often, or have limited space in your home, a freezer may not be necessary. Additionally, if you are on a tight budget, the cost of purchasing and running a freezer may not be worth it.
When deciding whether a freezer is worth it for you, consider factors such as your household size, your cooking and eating habits, your storage needs, and your budget. It's also important to consider the cost of purchasing and operating a freezer, as well as the space required to store it. By weighing these factors, you can determine whether a freezer is a worthwhile investment for your household.
How much will a 5 cubic foot chest freezer hold?
A 5 cubic foot chest freezer can hold approximately 175 pounds of food, depending on the size and shape of the items being stored.
To give you an idea of the storage capacity, a 5 cubic foot chest freezer can hold about:
- 100 to 125 pints of ice cream
- 30 to 40 pounds of boneless chicken
- 25 to 30 pounds of ground beef
- 10 to 15 pounds of frozen vegetables or fruits
- 10 to 15 frozen meals or dinners
Keep in mind that these estimates are approximate and can vary depending on the size and shape of the items being stored. Additionally, it's important not to overload the chest freezer, as this can lead to decreased energy efficiency and potential damage to the unit.
What is the difference between a chest freezer and a deep freezer?
A chest freezer and a deep freezer are both types of freezers that are designed to store frozen foods for long periods of time, but they have some differences:
- Shape: The main difference between a chest freezer and a deep freezer is its shape. Chest freezers have a horizontal orientation, with a lid that opens from the top, while deep freezers are vertical, with a door that opens from the front.
- Storage capacity: Chest freezers typically have a larger storage capacity than deep freezers. This is because they can hold more items due to their horizontal orientation and lack of shelves or drawers.
- Energy efficiency: Chest freezers are generally considered more energy-efficient than deep freezers, as their horizontal design helps to keep the cold air inside the freezer even when the lid is opened.
- Cost: Chest freezers are usually more expensive than deep freezers, but they also have a larger storage capacity.
- Maintenance: Chest freezers are usually easier to maintain than deep freezers, as they require less defrosting and cleaning. This is because the cold air in chest freezers tends to stay at the bottom of the freezer, keeping the interior relatively frost-free.
In summary, while both types of freezers are designed for long-term frozen storage, chest freezers are generally larger, more energy-efficient, and easier to maintain than deep freezers, but they can also be more expensive. The choice between the two will depend on your storage needs, budget, and personal preferences.
Are chest freezers superior to upright freezers?
Both chest freezers and upright freezers have advantages and disadvantages. The "best" choice will depend on your individual storage needs.
Chest freezers generally have more storage capacity and are better suited for freezing food during power outages. They are also more economical and energy efficient than upright models. Most chest freezers have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years, which is longer than a typical upright freezer. However, chest freezers do not have as many shelves or storage baskets as upright freezers (if any). They are also harder to clean and often require manual defrosting, unlike the automatic defrosting offered by some uprights.
Upright freezers have more shelves and storage baskets than chest freezers, making it easier to organize food. Vertical freezers also take up less space than chest freezers and are easier to reach and clean. However, upright freezers are more expensive and typically last only 10-15 years. They also do not stay cold during power outages, which increases the risk of stored food spoiling. Upright freezers are convenient for organizing food, but depending on the shelf layout, it may be difficult to store large or bulky items.
Which is the most efficient chest freezer?
The most efficient chest freezer will depend on several factors, such as its size, insulation quality, and energy rating. When shopping for an energy-efficient chest freezer, look for models that are Energy Star certified, which means they meet certain energy efficiency standards set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Here are some tips to help you choose an energy-efficient chest freezer:
- Size: Choose a chest freezer that is the right size for your needs. A smaller freezer will use less energy than a larger one, so if you don't need a lot of storage space, consider getting a smaller model.
- Energy rating: Look for chest freezers that have a high energy rating, such as Energy Star-certified models. These models are designed to use less energy and save you money on your energy bills.
- Insulation quality: Look for chest freezers with good insulation quality, as this can help reduce the amount of energy required to keep the freezer cold. A well-insulated freezer will also be less likely to develop frost buildup, which can decrease its energy efficiency over time.
- Manual defrost: Manual defrost chest freezers tend to be more energy-efficient than automatic defrost models, as they don't require as much energy to operate. However, manual defrost freezers do require periodic defrosting to maintain their efficiency.
- Brand reputation: Look for chest freezers from reputable brands that are known for their energy efficiency and quality construction.
By considering these factors and doing some research before purchasing a chest freezer, you can find a model that is both energy-efficient and suitable for your storage needs.
Is a 5 cubic foot freezer big?
A 5 cubic foot freezer is considered small to medium-sized, depending on your specific needs.
In terms of storage capacity, a 5 cubic foot freezer can hold approximately 175 pounds of food, which is enough for a small family or individual. However, if you frequently buy in bulk or like to stock up on frozen foods, you may find that a 5 cubic foot freezer doesn't provide enough storage space.
When deciding on the size of your freezer, consider the size of your household, your storage needs, and your available space. If you have a large family or need to store a lot of frozen foods, you may want to consider a larger chest freezer or an upright freezer. On the other hand, if you have limited space in your home or only need to store a small amount of food, a 5 cubic-foot freezer may be a good choice.
Ultimately, the size of your freezer will depend on your specific needs and circumstances, so it's important to consider all factors before making a purchase.
What is the longest-lasting freezer?
There is no one "longest lasting" freezer as the lifespan of a freezer will depend on several factors, including the brand, model, usage, and maintenance. However, some freezer brands are known for their quality and reliability, and they may last longer than others.
Here are some freezer brands that are known for their durability and longevity:
- Frigidaire: Frigidaire freezers are known for their durability and quality construction. They offer a range of chest and upright freezers with various storage capacities and energy ratings.
- Kenmore: Kenmore is another brand that is known for its reliable and long-lasting freezers. They offer a range of chest and upright freezers with features such as adjustable shelves and temperature control.
- GE: GE is a well-known appliance brand that offers a range of chest and upright freezers. They are known for their quality construction and reliability.
- Whirlpool: Whirlpool is another well-known appliance brand that offers a range of chest and upright freezers. They are known for their energy efficiency and durability.
- Haier: Haier is a relatively new brand in the freezer market, but they have quickly gained a reputation for their reliable and long-lasting freezers. They offer a range of chest and upright freezers with various storage capacities and energy ratings.
Keep in mind that even with a high-quality and reliable freezer, proper maintenance is still important for extending its lifespan. Regular cleaning and defrosting can help prevent issues and keep the freezer running smoothly.
How much electricity does a 5 cubic foot freezer use?
The amount of electricity a 5 cubic foot freezer uses can vary depending on factors such as the model, age, and energy efficiency rating. However, on average, a 5 cubic foot freezer uses between 250 to 400-kilowatt hours (kWh) per year.
To put this in perspective, if your freezer uses 300 kWh per year, and your electricity rate is $0.12 per kWh, the annual cost to operate your freezer would be around $36. This is just an estimate, and your actual cost may vary depending on your specific electricity rate and usage.
It's important to note that choosing an energy-efficient freezer can help reduce your electricity usage and lower your energy bills. When shopping for a freezer, look for models with a high energy efficiency rating, such as Energy Star certified freezers. These models are designed to use less energy and can help you save money on your electricity bill over time.
What size freezer for a family of 3?
The ideal size of a freezer for a family of three will depend on your specific needs and lifestyle. However, a freezer with a capacity of at least 7 to 9 cubic feet is generally recommended for a family of three.
This size of the freezer will provide enough storage space to accommodate a variety of frozen foods, including meats, vegetables, and prepared meals. It's important to consider the types of foods you plan to freeze and your family's eating habits when choosing the size of your freezer.
If you have limited space in your home or are looking for a smaller freezer, a 5 cubic foot freezer may be sufficient for a family of three, although you may need to be more selective about the types of foods you store.
Ultimately, the size of your freezer will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It's a good idea to assess your family's needs and consider your available space before making a purchase.
How much meat will a 5 cubic foot freezer hold?
A 5 cubic foot freezer can hold approximately 175 pounds of food, including meat. The actual amount of meat that a 5 cubic foot freezer can hold will depend on factors such as the size of the individual cuts of meat and how well they are packaged and arranged.
For example, if you plan to store ground beef, you can expect to store about 35 to 40 pounds in a 5 cubic foot freezer, while bone-in cuts of meat such as roasts and steaks will take up more space due to their irregular shape. It's important to package and store the meat properly to maximize the amount of space in the freezer.
It's also important to note that a 5 cubic foot freezer may not be sufficient for those who like to buy in bulk or store large quantities of meat. If you frequently purchase meat in large quantities, you may want to consider a larger chest freezer or an upright freezer with more storage capacity.
Also Read: Best Electric Tea Kettle for Hard Water
Choosing the Best 5 cu ft Chest Freezer is a difficult task. It is important to choose a model that fits into the available space in your home while providing the necessary storage. Likewise, you want to find a chest freezer that operates efficiently, maintains ideal temperatures, and offers all the extra features you desire.
Hi, I’m Jennifer Lawrence, Went to Calhoun High School (Georgia) my goal is to make the kitchen fun by providing a mathematical and logical component to our approach to cooking good food. I look not only at delicious recipes but also at kitchen tools and gadgets to give you the tips and tricks we hope you will find useful. Read More Here
Leave a Reply