When you wake up early for class or stay up late to write a paper, you may need a cup of coffee. There is nothing more convenient than having a coffee maker in your room. However, if you are going to buy a coffee maker for your college room, you want one that is affordable, easy to use and takes up little space. So how do you go about finding the right coffee maker for your needs?
Don’t worry, we’re here to help you find the Best Coffee Maker For a Dorm Room that won’t break your budget. To help you shop around, we’ve compiled a list of eight of the best coffee makers for dorms. For each model, we’ve scrutinized price, design, durability, size, and warranty, and written comprehensive reviews so you can choose the best brand for your dorm. In no time, you’ll be brewing delicious coffee in your room.
Also Read: Best Mini Fridge For Beer
Best Coffee Maker For Dorm Room
Why do we need a good coffeemaker for college admissions in 2023?
So why do we need coffee makers in college dormitories? Well, there are several reasons…
- First, you don’t have to wait in line at the campus café and be late for class (in fact, this often happens).
- Second, you don’t want to drink the cafeteria’s watered-down coffee every day. You will just come back and succumb to the expensive campus baristas you tried to avoid in the first place.
- Third, buying coffee from outside is just too expensive compared to having your own coffee machine!
- Having a coffee machine in your dorm is essential for your performance, your wallet, and your lifestyle.
- Whether you are running late for class, studying late into the night, or need a warm beverage in the winter, coffee is your new friend in college.
- Grab a cup of coffee and find your dorm gadget.
Best Coffee Maker For Dorm Room | Comparison Table 2023
5-Stars Pick | Great Prices | High Quality
|Chefman Instabrew Single Serve Coffee Maker Brewer for K-Cup Pods Fresh Grounds & Loose-Leaf Tea w/Instant Reboil & Bonus Reusable Filter, Compact 14 oz, Black/Stainless Steel, Mug Not Included||Chefman||Check Price|
|Mr. Coffee 5 Cup Programmable 25 oz. Mini, Brew Now or Later, with Water Filtration and Nylon Reusable Filter, Coffee Maker, Black||Mr. Coffee||Check Price|
|Keurig K-Mini Plus Coffee Maker, Single Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer, 6 to 12 oz. Brew Size, Stores up to 9 K-Cup Pods, Cardinal Red||Keurig||Check Price|
|Mr. Coffee 2129512, 5-Cup Mini Brew Switch Coffee Maker, Black||Mr. Coffee||Check Price|
|Keurig K-Elite Coffee Maker, Single Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer, With Iced Coffee Capability, Brushed Slate||Keurig||Check Price|
|iMiGoo Portable Coffee Maker 8 OZ - Single Cup Coffee Percolator - Tea Maker - Electric Kettle - 304 Stainless Steel - AC 110-120V White||iMiGoo||Check Price|
|Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker, Single-Serve and 12-Cup Pot, Black/Stainless Steel(49980A), Carafe||Hamilton Beach||Check Price|
|Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Trio 2-Way Single Serve Coffee Maker & Full 10c Pot, Compatible with K-Cup Pods or Grounds, Combo, Black and Stainless||Hamilton Beach||Check Price|
|Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker with Permanent Filter, 17 oz, Cork Band||Bodum||Check Price|
Best Coffee Maker For Dorm Room | Reviews 2023
The Chefman Instabrew Single Serve Coffee Maker is a compact and versatile brewer that is perfect for coffee lovers on the go. It features proprietary technology that ensures your coffee brews quickly and at the perfect temperature, eliminating the need for cold coffee. The instant re-boil function allows you to brew cup after cup with no wait time, making it a great choice for busy mornings or entertaining guests.
One of the most unique features of this coffee maker is its compact design. Its narrow profile allows it to fit and store anywhere, making it perfect for use on exotic vacations, trips, in dorms, or any size kitchen. It’s even tall enough to use with most travel mugs, so you can quickly brew your favorite hot beverages on-the-go!
Also Read: Best Lunch Cooler For Construction Workers
The Mr. Coffee 5-cup programmable coffee maker is a compact and convenient option for those who want to enjoy fresh, hot coffee without fuss. With a capacity of up to 25 oz, it's perfect for making coffee for two 12 oz cups. The carafe is ergonomically designed for easy pouring and handling and features ounce markings for better measuring. This means you can take the guesswork out of measuring and make your coffee just the way you like it.
The brew later feature is a great option for those who want to wake up to freshly brewed coffee. You can set the coffeemaker ahead of time so that your coffee is ready when you are. The Grab-A-Cup Auto Pause feature lets you stop the brewing cycle to pour a cup and then continue brewing until complete, allowing you to enjoy your coffee at your own pace.
The Keurig K-Mini Plus Coffee Maker is a compact, single-serve coffee machine that brews Keurig K-Cup pods quickly and easily. It comes in a cardinal red color and includes a pod storage unit that can hold up to 9 K-Cup pods. This feature not only saves counter space but also makes it easy to transport, making it perfect for those who are always on the go.
One of the key features of the K-Mini Plus is its fast and fresh brewing process. It can brew a cup of coffee in minutes, making it a perfect choice for those who are always in a hurry. Additionally, it is also travel mug friendly, with a removable drip tray that can accommodate travel mugs up to 7 inches tall and holds a full accidental brew for easy cleanup.
Also Read: Best Countertop Oven For Baking
The Mr. Coffee 5-Cup Mini Brew Switch Coffee Maker is a compact and efficient coffee maker that is perfect for small spaces. It can brew up to 25 oz. of coffee, making it ideal for two 12-oz. cups. The easy switch with a power indicator lights up to show that the coffee maker is on, or to remind you to shut it off.
The coffee maker features an updated ergonomic carafe that offers easy pouring and handling. The carafe is made of glass and features ounce markings for perfect measuring. The Grab-a-Cup Auto Pause feature allows you to grab a cup before the brewing process is finished, so you can enjoy your coffee as soon as it's ready.
The Keurig K-Elite Coffee Maker is a single serve coffee brewer that can brew multiple cup sizes, including 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 ounces. It comes with a water filter handle and filter to help ensure your beverages taste their absolute best.
One of the key features of this coffee maker is the strong brew button, which increases the strength and bold taste of your coffee's flavor. Additionally, it has an iced setting that allows you to brew hot over ice at the touch of a button for full-flavored, delicious iced coffee. It also has a hot water on demand button, which is perfect for instant soups or oatmeal. You can also adjust the brew temperature between 187° and 192°.
Also Read: Best Portable Oven For Baking
The iMiGoo Portable Coffee Maker is a versatile and compact device that allows you to make a single cup of coffee or tea with ease. It features precise temperature control and automatic power adjustment, which ensures a consistent extraction and a cup of mellow coffee every time. With its one-key operation, you can easily switch between light/medium and dark roasted coffee, as well as brew tea or keep your drink warm.
Made from food-grade 304 stainless steel, this 17-ounce kettle is safe and durable. It comes with a filter basket, making it easy to clean and maintain. The kettle is small and lightweight, making it perfect for travelers or those with limited space.
The Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer Coffee Maker is a versatile and convenient coffee machine that allows you to brew both a single cup or a full pot of coffee using your favorite ground coffee. The machine is not compatible with K-Cup pods and instead uses loose ground coffee, which is easily added using the included mesh scoop.
One of the standout features of this coffee maker is the 2-hour automatic shutoff, which provides peace of mind by ensuring that the machine turns off automatically after 2 hours. This eliminates the need to worry about whether or not you turned off the coffee maker before leaving the house. Additionally, the coffee maker is programmable, allowing you to set the time you want to start brewing so that you can wake up to hot and ready-to-drink coffee.
Also Read: Best Stand Mixers Under $200
The Hamilton Beach FlexBrew Trio 2-Way Coffee Maker is a versatile and convenient coffee maker that allows you to brew coffee in multiple ways. It is compatible with both K-Cup pods and grounds, allowing you to enjoy both single serve and full pot coffee. The black and stainless steel design is sleek and modern, and the thermal carafe keeps your coffee hot and fresh for hours.
One of the key features of this coffee maker is the programmable timer, auto pause & serve, and auto shutoff. This allows you to set the coffee maker to brew at a specific time, and even pause the brewing process if you need to pour a cup before it's finished. The single-serve-brew option also includes a pod holder and single-serve grounds basket, and the cup rest is adjustable to fit tall mugs and doubles as storage.
The Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker is a stylish and practical solution for brewing delicious coffee at home. With a capacity of 17 oz and a permanent filter, it allows you to brew a perfect cup of coffee every time. The cork band design adds a touch of elegance to the coffee maker, making it a great addition to any kitchen.
One of the main features of this coffee maker is its permanent filter, which eliminates the need for disposable paper filters. This not only saves money in the long run, but it is also better for the environment. The reusable filter is easy to clean and can be used for years to come.
The pour over method of brewing coffee is known for producing a rich and flavorful cup of coffee. The Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker is made of heat-resistant borosilicate glass and features a 110-volt human interface input, making it easy to use.
Also Read: Best Commercial Stand Mixer
How To Pick The Best Coffee Maker For Dorm Room | Ultimate Guide 2023
Easy to Clean
One of the most important aspects of your coffee maker is that it is quick and easy to clean. Literally, hassle-free. Otherwise, when you come back to your coffee maker, you will realize that you did not clean it the last time. This will only prolong the process of making coffee. Besides, there are more things to do in college than clean the coffeemaker. It has to be easy or you will never get it done.
Ease of Use
In addition to being easy to clean, the coffeemaker should be quick and easy to use. There are no complicated rituals. There is no summoning the coffee gods; one, two, just coffee. It's as simple as adding ground coffee and water and popping in a gorgeous cup of coffee. That's all there is to it.
In college, sleeping in is the norm. If you spend most of your morning napping, you don't have much time left to make coffee. It has to be quick. It's a bit of a vicious cycle. I don't have much time to make coffee, but I can't start my day without it. The only option is quickness.
The less maintenance a coffee maker requires, the better. We do not need to watch the machine. The machine should do its job without your intervention. Regular cleaning is a given, but features such as automatic cleaning make it easier and faster.
Some items are safe to put in the dishwasher, but be sure to check the safety before doing so. Make sure the machine has a brewing basket or filter that needs to be changed infrequently.
Without a filter, the water used to make coffee may not be clean enough, adversely affecting flavor. However, this is not a reason to fear. Some models are often equipped with a built-in water filter, which can improve the cup of coffee.
Travel with ease
We have found several coffee makers that brew directly into travel mugs that allow you to take your coffee with you. Also, some of these coffee makers are lightweight enough that you can pack the entire machine if needed.
Some of the machines on our list can be programmed the night before to have coffee ready just before your first class of the day. That coffee aroma will smell better than your alarm!
To make your college coffee-making experience the best it can be, we have selected coffeemakers that meet some or all of the above criteria. It is up to each of you to decide which equipment is a priority for your specific needs.
Since this article is geared toward parents with college students and college-age children, size is an important consideration, as space is likely to be a major factor. This means that a compact size model should be chosen to maximize the limited space in the dormitory.
A good product warranty will reduce the likelihood of incurring additional costs. While an unlimited warranty sounds good, especially if you are on a budget, you may want to opt for a product with a lifetime warranty; the Cuisinart DCC-3400, which comes with a 3-year warranty, is the best model on this list in terms of warranty.
College dorms are small, and if you're sharing one with roommates, space is even smaller. Everything in the residence needs to maximize space, and coffee makers are no exception.
A compact model will allow you to have everything you need while keeping your side of the house neat and spacious.
Reliability and Durability
To get the most bang for your buck, you want a top-quality coffee maker that will be reliable throughout your semester.
Finding a reliable coffee machine is important because a machine breaking down on a busy morning does not fit into a student's hectic schedule.
Single or multi-cup coffee machines
This is probably the most important question to ask. Do you just want to brew coffee for yourself, your roommates, or the entire dorm? If you just want a good single-serve coffee maker for the dorm, you can do that.
But if you want to brew coffee for the entire dorm, a good multi-cup model offers 10 to 14 cups; the brewer will be the ideal choice.
There are actually many other things that make a good dorm coffee machine. They should be loud and not interfere with studying. It should also be compact enough to place in your room and be really useful.
Of course, the coffee maker itself must be approved by the residence in the first place. Check with the relevant authorities on this to see if you can have a machine. If you don't want to get into trouble, be sure to get a coffee maker that is approved by the residence hall.
Also Read: Best Slow Cooker With Browning Feature
Best Coffee Maker For Dorm Room | Video Explanation
Frequently Asked Questions
Is automatic shutdown really necessary?
Yes, we get very busy in college. In times of emergency, we naturally forget to turn off the power. Therefore, this feature saves energy and reduces risk.
Can you make espresso with a regular machine?
If you want to taste authentic espresso, buy an espresso machine. An ordinary coffee maker won't do.
How often should it be cleaned?
It depends on how you use it. Naturally, the more often you use it, the more cleaning it will need. Of course, there are features to avoid this problem, such as automatic cleaning. So you can clean it accordingly.
Can I use coffee beans instead of pre-ground coffee?
It is better to use pre-ground coffee for the coffee maker instead of using whole beans.
How do I know if a coffee maker is suitable for a hall of residence?
There is no direct indicator as to whether a coffeemaker is designed for halls of residence. Please follow our guide to determine if a coffeemaker is suitable for a hall of residence.
Can I bring my own coffee pot to college?
You can definitely bring a coffee pot to college. In fact, we recommend it if you are a regular coffee drinker. It will save you money because you are not always spending money on coffee.
If you don't seem to drink much coffee in college, you may not need it. When moving into a college dormitory, you want to travel light.
Can I use a Keurig in the dorms?
You certainly can. You can bring any coffee maker into the dorm.
You may not be allowed a full-fledged rice cooker, but high-end appliances are allowed. And coffee makers are one of them.
Are there cooking facilities in college dormitories?
It depends on your dormitory. Independent dorms usually have kitchens for 5 or 6 people. So you should have an electric rice cooker. Certainly not gas.
Catering dorms probably do not have cookware. Still, many students smuggle in small portable induction cooktops.
Can I cook for myself in college?
If you choose a college dormitory with catering services, you will always have to cook your own food.
However, if you are in a dining hall, you will not have many opportunities to cook. Often there is only a refrigerator and a microwave oven.
The university's biggest concern is a fire hazard. This is not a problem if you use appliances that are less of a fire hazard, such as coffee makers.
What is the best coffee maker for a dorm room?
When it comes to choosing the best coffee maker for a dorm room, there are a few factors to consider such as budget, size, and ease of use. Here are some coffee makers that might be a good fit for a dorm room:
- Single-Serve Coffee Maker: A single-serve coffee maker is a great option for dorm rooms as they are compact and easy to use. Some popular brands include Keurig and Nespresso, which offer a variety of flavors and brewing options.
- French Press: A French press is another great option for a dorm room. They are affordable, compact, and easy to use. Plus, they don't require any electricity or disposable coffee pods, making them an eco-friendly choice.
- Pour-Over Coffee Maker: A pour-over coffee maker is a manual brewing method that requires a bit more time and effort but can produce great-tasting coffee. They are compact and affordable, making them a great option for dorm rooms.
- Drip Coffee Maker: If you have a bit more space and budget, a drip coffee maker could be a good choice for a dorm room. Look for a compact model that doesn't take up too much space, and make sure it has an automatic shut-off feature for safety.
Ultimately, the best coffee maker for a dorm room will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as budget, size, ease of use, and brewing method to find the perfect coffee maker for you.
Can you have a coffee maker in a dorm room?
Whether or not you can have a coffee maker in a dorm room will depend on the specific rules and regulations of your dormitory. Some dorms may prohibit the use of coffee makers, while others may allow them under certain conditions.
Before bringing a coffee maker to your dorm room, be sure to check with your dormitory's policies to see if they allow it. If coffee makers are allowed, make sure to follow any specific rules or regulations, such as only using models with automatic shut-off features or not leaving them unattended while they are in use.
If coffee makers are not allowed, you may want to consider other options such as using a portable electric kettle to heat water for instant coffee or tea. Alternatively, you could also use a manual brewing method such as a French press or pour-over coffee maker that does not require electricity.
What is the best coffee machine for students?
When it comes to choosing the best coffee machine for students, there are several factors to consider, such as price, ease of use, size, and versatility. Here are a few coffee machines that might be a good fit for students:
- Single-Serve Coffee Maker: Single-serve coffee makers are a popular option for students because they are affordable, easy to use, and require minimal clean-up. Brands like Keurig and Nespresso offer a variety of flavors and brewing options, making them a versatile choice.
- Drip Coffee Maker: Drip coffee makers are another great option for students who want a more traditional brewing experience. Look for models that are compact and affordable, with features like auto shut-off for safety.
- French Press: French press coffee makers are a popular choice for students who want a more manual brewing experience. They are affordable, compact, and easy to use, and produce rich, flavorful coffee.
- Pour-Over Coffee Maker: Pour-over coffee makers are another manual brewing option that can produce great-tasting coffee. They are affordable and compact, making them a good choice for students who have limited counter space.
Ultimately, the best coffee machine for students will depend on their specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as budget, ease of use, and versatility when choosing a coffee machine for your student lifestyle.
What can I use instead of a toaster in a college dorm?
If you don't have a toaster in your college dorm or if toasters are not allowed, there are several alternatives you can use to toast bread or other baked goods. Here are a few options:
- Toaster Oven: A toaster oven is a versatile appliance that can be used to toast bread, bake small items, and even cook frozen meals. It's a great alternative to a toaster if you have the counter space.
- Broiler: If your oven has a broiler setting, you can use it to toast bread. Place the bread on a baking sheet and broil for a few minutes until it's toasted to your liking.
- Stovetop: You can also toast bread on a stovetop using a frying pan or griddle. Heat the pan over medium-high heat and place the bread directly on the pan. Flip it over after a minute or two to toast the other side.
- Microwave: While not ideal, you can also use a microwave to toast bread. Place the bread on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 15-30 seconds until it's slightly crispy.
These alternatives can be a good solution for toasting bread or other baked goods in a college dorm where space and appliance options may be limited.
Why are kettles not allowed in dorms?
The policies on kettles in dorms may vary depending on the specific college or university. In some cases, kettles may be prohibited due to safety concerns, such as the risk of fire or burns. Kettles with exposed heating elements can be particularly hazardous if left unattended or if the heating element comes into contact with any flammable materials.
Additionally, in some dorms, the electrical capacity may be limited, and high-wattage appliances like kettles could potentially overload the circuits and cause electrical problems.
To ensure the safety of all students living in the dorms, many colleges and universities may have specific policies on the use of certain appliances, including kettles. Before bringing any appliances into your dorm, it's important to check with your school's housing policies to see what is allowed and what is prohibited.
What should every dorm room have?
Every dorm room is different, but there are a few essential items that every dorm room should have to ensure comfort and functionality. Here are some suggestions:
- Bedding: Comfortable bedding, including sheets, blankets, and pillows, is a must-have for any dorm room.
- Storage: Dorm rooms can be small, so it's important to have storage options to keep your space organized. Consider getting under-bed storage containers, over-the-door organizers, or a small bookshelf to maximize your space.
- Desk and Chair: A comfortable desk and chair are essential for studying and doing homework.
- Lighting: Good lighting is important for studying and creating a comfortable living environment. Consider getting a desk lamp or floor lamp to provide additional lighting.
- Mini Fridge: A mini-fridge is a great way to keep drinks and snacks on hand without having to leave your dorm room.
- Shower Supplies: Don't forget to bring a shower caddy, towels, and any other shower supplies you may need.
- Power Strip: With all the electronic devices that students use these days, a power strip is a must-have for charging phones, laptops, and other devices.
- Cleaning Supplies: Keeping your dorm room clean is important for your health and well-being. Make sure to bring cleaning supplies like disinfectant wipes, a broom and dustpan, and a small vacuum.
- Personal Items: Don't forget to bring personal items that will make you feel more at home, such as photos, posters, or a favorite blanket.
These are just a few suggestions, and there may be additional items that you'll want to bring based on your personal needs and preferences.
How can I maximize my college dorm space?
College dorm rooms can be small and cramped, but there are several things you can do to maximize your space and make the most of what you have. Here are some tips:
- Use Vertical Space: Take advantage of your walls by adding shelves or wall-mounted organizers to store books, decorations, or other items.
- Get Creative with Storage: Use under-bed storage containers, over-the-door organizers, and storage ottomans to keep your belongings organized and out of the way.
- Use Multi-Functional Furniture: Choose furniture that has more than one use. For example, a futon can serve as both a bed and a couch, and a storage ottoman can serve as both seating and storage.
- Keep it Simple: Stick to the essentials and avoid clutter. Only bring items that you need or that will serve a specific purpose.
- Stay Organized: Keep your space organized by putting things back where they belong and tidying up regularly. This will make it easier to find what you need and keep your space looking clean and neat.
- Utilize Shared Spaces: Take advantage of common areas in your dorm, such as study rooms, lounges, or kitchens. This can free up space in your room and give you a change of scenery.
By using these tips, you can maximize your college dorm space and create a comfortable and functional living environment.
Is a coffee machine better than a press?
The choice between a coffee machine and a French press ultimately comes down to personal preference and individual needs.
A coffee machine is a convenient option for those who want a quick and easy cup of coffee. With a coffee machine, you can brew a pot of coffee in just a few minutes, and some models even have programmable features that allow you to set a timer for when you want your coffee to be ready.
On the other hand, a French press is a manual brewing method that can produce a rich, full-bodied cup of coffee. It requires a bit more time and effort than a coffee machine, as you need to heat the water separately and let the coffee steep for a few minutes. However, some people prefer the flavor profile of French press coffee, as it can extract more oils and flavors from the coffee beans.
Ultimately, the choice between a coffee machine and a French press depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you prioritize convenience and speed, a coffee machine may be the better option for you. However, if you're willing to invest a bit more time and effort into your coffee, a French press can produce a delicious and unique cup of coffee.
Also Read: Best Cold Press Juicer
Choosing the right coffee maker for a university may depend on the budget as well as the plans to use it. Needless to say, you don't want to compromise on the quality of the coffee.
Being a student is not easy, and coffee can be a lot easier to manage with all the hard work. The most important aspect of a college coffee maker is that you need to make the right choice for you.
Hi, I’m Jennifer Lawrence, Went to Calhoun High School (Georgia) my goal is to make the kitchen fun by providing a mathematical and logical component to our approach to cooking good food. I look not only at delicious recipes but also at kitchen tools and gadgets to give you the tips and tricks we hope you will find useful. Read More Here