If you are looking for cooker hoods, you’ve come to the right place. This guide will explain everything you need to know before you buy. You will learn about the different types of hoods, how they work, and what to look for when purchasing one. Plus, we’ll give you some tips on choosing the right hood for your kitchen. Whether you’re a first-time buyer or looking to upgrade to an older model, you’ll find all the information you need here.
Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles to fit any kitchen. The most common is the “chimney hood,” which is mounted on a wall or ceiling and has a flue pointing outward. Other popular options include island hoods, downdraft hoods, and ventless hoods.
Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods
What is the purpose of a range hood?
Cooking on the stove inevitably results in some degree of air pollution in the kitchen.
Cooking on the stove can produce a variety of aromas. The smells are food particles that are lifted by the heat. These particles can spread throughout the house and seep into porous cushions, walls, and furniture, causing unpleasant odors to linger.
Cooking on a stove produces more than just food aromas and smoke contaminants. Cooking with oil releases fat particles into the air. These particles float around the kitchen and cause odors to linger where these particles settle.
Even doing something seemingly harmless, such as steaming broccoli, can release moisture and rust unprotected metal surfaces.
Cooking hoods solve this problem. Cooking hoods are designed to remove smoke, odors, and grease from the kitchen air. It does this by drawing air in through a filter and exhausting it outside. This keeps the kitchen clean and smoke-free and also prevents fires.
Also Read: Best Ice Cream Maker For Home
What is the difference between an extract hood and a recirculating hood?
Air extracted from the kitchen has to go somewhere. Therefore, the exhaust air is either sent outside (extract hood) or recirculated back into the kitchen through a filter (recirculating hood). Below is a more detailed explanation of these two types of appliances.
This kitchen hood simply sends outside air through a duct. There is no filtering or treatment of any kind. It is often more efficient and effective to send it directly outside than to recirculate it indoors. However, ventilation fans can be noisy because they require a lot of power to feed air into the ducts.
It is important to note that because ducts are used to channel outside air, it is necessary to plan the route of the ducts from the beginning, especially if the hood is installed on an island or on a wall other than an exterior wall. Ducts, if left unchecked, can often look bad and give a kitchen a bad impression.
Air circulation hood
This hood draws air in through a filter. This filter then removes cooking odors and then sends the air back into the kitchen. Most modern recirculating hoods have a basic grease filter and a carbon filter, which work together to remove grease, food odors, and smoke from the air. Circulating/self-circulating hoods are often much less expensive than extract hoods because there are no ducts.
However, they are less effective because they must treat the air and inevitably cannot remove odors and grease, and smoke completely. Also, one must keep in mind that the filters need to be replaced from time to time. These hoods may be the perfect solution for those redesigning a kitchen on a budget and are also useful if you are not comfortable designing a kitchen around ductwork.
Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods | Comparison Table 2023
|Top||AKDY 217 CFM Convertible Wall Mount Range Hood with Tempered Glass and Carbon Filters in Black Painted Stainless Steel (30 in)||AKDY||Check Price|
|COSMO 668ICS750 30 in. Island Mount Range Hood with 380 CFM, Soft Touch Controls, Permanent Filters, LED Lights, Tempered Glass Visor in Stainless Steel||COSMO||Check Price|
|ZLINE 36 in. Convertible Vent Outdoor Approved Wall Mount Range Hood in Stainless Steel (KB-304-36)||Z Line Kitchen and Bath||Check Price|
|Bosch HCP50652UC 30" 500 Series Smart Pyramid Canopy Chimney Hood with 600 CFM Touch Control with LCD Display 4 Speed Controls Aluminum Mesh Filters in Stainless Steel||BOSCH||Check Price|
|CIARRA Black Range Hood 30 inch 450 CFM with Anti-Fingerprint Design Ductless Hood Vent for Kitchen with 3 Speed Exhaust Fan, Anti-Fingerprint Design, Ducted and Ductless Convertible||CIARRA||Check Price|
|Winflo 30 In. Convertible Stainless Steel Wall Mount Range Hood with Aluminum Mesh Filters and Touch Sensor Control||Winflo||Check Price|
|Comfee CVP30W6AST Ducted Pyramid Range 450 CFM Stainless Steel Wall Mount Vent Hood with 3 Speed Exhaust Fan, 5-Layer Aluminum Permanent Filters, Two LED Lights, Convertible to Ductless, 30 inches||COMFEE'||Check Price|
|Empava Wall Mount Range Hood Ducted Exhaust Vent and Push Button Controls 3-Speed Motor Fan with Permanent Filter in Stainless Steel, 30 Inch||Empava||Check Price|
|Ancona AN-1558 30" 280 CFM Convertible Wall Mount Pyramid Range Hood in White||Ancona||Check Price|
Prices and images pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Top Quality | 5-Star Pick | Great Prices
Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods | Products Overview 2023
1. AKDY CFM Convertible Wall Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods
- WHAT YOU NEED: On the search for the ultimate range hood for a professional-looking kitchen? We have the answer: the AKDY 30” Black Painted stainless steel with glass wall mount range hood vents will eliminate any steam or odor!
- PREMIUM POWER: The AKDY wall mount hood has a powerful 134W motor that will suck any steam or smoke from cooking. The range hood has 3-speed levels through which you can choose the intensity of the air suction.
- TOP MATERIALS: The kitchen range hood is made with Black Painted stainless steel and Tempered Glass which guarantees the premium quality of the product, as well as modern and minimalist design suitable for any kitchen style.
- EFFICIENT FILTER: The professional range hood has Baffle filters that are dishwasher safe so you can remove any grease or smoke stains, ensuring a perfect airflow and efficient ventilation of the entire kitchen.
- QUIET & PRACTICAL: Although powerful, the 0.7A motor of the kitchen exhaust fan is extremely quiet, keeping the noise level under 60db. Also, LED lamps ensures the light you need for cooking.
- Mount Range Hood with Tempered Glass and Carbon Filters in Black Painted Stainless Steel (30 in)
The AKDY 217 CFM Convertible Wall Mount Range Hood is the perfect addition to any modern kitchen. This 30 inch hood is made of high-quality black painted stainless steel and tempered glass, giving it a sleek and professional look. The powerful 134W motor has three different speed levels, allowing you to adjust the intensity of air suction as needed. The hood is also equipped with baffle filters that are dishwasher safe, ensuring efficient ventilation of your entire kitchen and easy maintenance. Despite its power, the 0.7A motor operates quietly, keeping the noise level under 60 dB.
In addition to its stylish design and performance, the AKDY wall mount hood is also practical. It is equipped with LED lamps that provide the necessary light for cooking. The hood is also convertible, making it a versatile choice for any kitchen. Whether you’re cooking up a storm or simply trying to eliminate unwanted steam or odor, the AKDY 217 CFM Convertible Wall Mount Range Hood is the ideal solution.
- Sleek and modern design
- Powerful 134W motor with 3 speed levels
- Made with high-quality materials
- Efficient baffle filters for efficient ventilation
- Quiet operation with LED lamps for added practicality
- May be more expensive than other range hoods on the market
- Some customers have reported issues with the LED lights
- Only available in one size (30 inches)
2. COSMO 668ICS750 Island Recirculating Cooker Hoods
- Built with cutting edge technology and with the utmost of care, Cosmo brings you beautiful premium range hoods at an affordable price. Expect cooking and cleaning experiences that make life easier, brighten up your kitchen, and protect your health.
- EFFICIENT YET QUIET: 380 CFM, 3-speed fan, single centrifugal motor. Cosmo’s vent hood comes standardly ducted and quickly ventilates your kitchen. Carbon Filter Kit for ducted to ductless operation sold separately (Part # CFK1-TM). Extension telescopes with your outer cover can be shortened or lengthened depending on your needs. Noise level as low as 45 dB on lowest fan speed with rigid ducting (sold separately) under optimal conditions; range hood comes with flexible ducting for convenient installation
- SUPERIOR FILTRATION: Cosmo ARC-FLOW Permanent Filters are dishwasher-safe and extremely durable. No need to replace these filters, simply drop in the dishwasher for easy maintenance and cost savings
- ENERGY-SAVING LIGHTS: Range hood features 2-watt LED bulbs that are long-lasting and provide bright, high-lumen lighting for better visibility while cooking
- 3-YEAR LIMITED PARTS: Our customer support team is based proudly in the USA. Range Hood Product Dimensions: 29.2 in. (W) x 23.6 in. (D) x Adjustable 30.75 in. - 47 in. (H). Electrical: 120V/60Hz, 3-prong plug. Duct Size: 6 in.
- Range Hood with 380 CFM, Soft Touch Controls, Permanent Filters, LED Lights, Tempered Glass Visor in Stainless Steel
The COSMO 668ICS750 30 in. Island Mount Range Hood is a stylish and functional addition to any kitchen. It features a stainless steel finish, a tempered glass visor, and soft-touch controls for an attractive look and convenient use. With 380 CFM and a 3-speed fan powered by a single centrifugal motor, the range hood quickly and quietly ventilates your kitchen.
The range hood also comes with energy-saving LED lights that provide bright and high-lumen lighting for better visibility while cooking. Additionally, the Cosmo ARC-FLOW Permanent Filters are dishwasher-safe and extremely durable, so there is no need to replace them.
- Efficient and quiet ventilation with 380 CFM and a 3-speed fan.
- Durable and dishwasher-safe permanent filters.
- Energy-saving LED lights for better visibility while cooking.
- Stylish design with a stainless steel finish and tempered glass visor.
- 3-year limited parts warranty with US-based customer support.
- Currently unavailable.
- May require additional installation components (e.g. rigid ducting) for optimal performance.
- Only available in 30-inch and 36-inch sizes.
3. ZLINE 36 in. Convertible Vent Recirculating Cooker Hoods
- Please note the position of a grill lid can block the range hood filters and decrease range hood performance. We recommend moving the range hood to accommodate your grill lid or ensuring the range hood depth will surpass the size of the grill and be mounted 38-42 inches above the grill.
- Experience Attainable Luxury® by exploring ZLINEs Catalog of Appliances and Fixtures. From Ranges to Refrigeration, Complete Your Kitchen with ZLINE Attainable Luxury®. Buy with Confidence. Industry-Leading Models. Inspired by Lake Tahoe
- Luxury Kitchen Appliances from the most sought-after brands in the world. Shop the best selection of kitchen appliances. Dishwashers. Ranges. Refrigeration. Types: Range Hoods, Hoods, Refrigeration, Microwaves, Dishwashers
- The ZLINE KB-304-36 is a 36 in. professional wall mount stainless steel range hood with a modern design and built-to-last quality, making it a great
- All of our copper hoods are handcrafted with 16 Gauge virgin copper. Come see our special deals! Click to get a special free coupon now! Free Shipping. Exquisite Craftsmanship
- Outdoor Approved Wall Mount Range Hood in Stainless Steel (KB-304-36)
The ZLINE 36 in. Convertible Vent Outdoor Approved Wall Mount Range Hood in Stainless Steel (KB-304-36) is a high-quality range hood that is designed to make cooking and outdoor grilling easier and more convenient. The range hood is made of stainless steel, which gives it a sleek and modern look and ensures that it is durable and long-lasting. The hood features a special dishwasher-safe baffle filter that makes cleaning and maintenance easy.
The ZLINE 36 in. Convertible Vent Outdoor Approved Wall Mount Range Hood is available in a variety of sizes, including 30 in., 36 in., 42 in., 48 in., 54 in., and 60 in., so you can choose the one that best fits your outdoor grilling setup.
- Made of durable stainless steel
- Dishwasher-safe baffle filters
- Available in various sizes
- Sleek and modern look
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Currently unavailable
- The grill lid can block the range hood filters and decrease performance
- Limited information on product availability
4. Bosch Series Smart Pyramid Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods
- Most Knowledgeable and Friendly Expert Customer Support in the Industry. HoodFilters.com Can Help You Pick the Right System for Your Exact Needs
- Industry-Leading Range Hoods | ZLINE Luxury Range Hoods & More | Lifetime Motor Warranty. Explore ZLINE Kitchen and Bath | Friendly Warranties | Exceptional Customer.
- Choose from a variety of wood range hood styles and sizes to match your unique design. Transform your kitchen with a stunning wood range hood today. Trade discounts available
- Wall mounted chimney hoods add style and sophistication to the kitchen and gives you greater freedom in your kitchen planning. Remotely monitor and control
- Shop Falmec Range Hoods By Category. A full range of Falmec appliances is available at Appliances Connection. Multiple Payment Options. Secure Shopping. Exclusive Offers. Buy More, Save Even More. Save w/ Available Rebates. Free In Home Delivery
- This Bosch 500 Series 30 pyramid canopy chimney hood features Home Connect, 4-speed power level options, LCD touch display controls and dishwasher safe
- Canopy Chimney Hood with 600 CFM Touch Control with LCD Display 4 Speed Controls Aluminum Mesh Filters in Stainless Steel
The Bosch HCP50652UC is a 30" 500 Series Smart Pyramid Canopy Chimney Hood that comes with 600 CFM Touch Control with LCD Display. It features 4 speed controls and is equipped with aluminum mesh filters. This hood is made of stainless steel and has a sleek and modern finish.
With a 19.69" depth and 30" width, it is compact enough to fit into most kitchens, while its 25" height makes it an attractive addition to any kitchen décor. The touch controls with LCD display make it easy to operate and adjust the speed settings, ensuring that you can have the perfect amount of ventilation for any cooking scenario. The aluminum mesh filters effectively remove smoke, grease, and other pollutants from your kitchen, keeping it smelling fresh and clean.
- 600 CFM touch control with LCD display.
- 4-speed control options.
- Aluminum mesh filters for efficient cleaning.
- Sleek and modern stainless steel design.
- Compact dimensions for easy installation.
- Currently unavailable.
- Availability uncertain.
- No customer support is currently available.
5. CIARRA Black Range Hood
- POWERFUL BUT QUIET: CIARRA 30 inch ductless range hood with 450 CFM, effectively remove smoke and odors. Quiet operation, 8.5 Sones max at the highest speed.
- ANTI-FINGERPRINT PAINTING: Black range hood with a matte sandblasted finished, scratch-resistant and easy cleaning.
- USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN: Wall mount range hood 30 inches with mechanical push button for convenient control. Detachable mesh filters with superior filtration, easy to clean and install.
- DURABLE MOTOR SYSTEM: 30-inch vent hood black with upgraded sturdy motor offers excellent support to your ventilation need.
- CONVERTIBLLE VENTILATION MODE: Ductless range hood operated in ducted or ductless mode, if you would like to convert your range hood to ductless, you will need to purchase CACF003 carbon filter.
- 30 inch 450 CFM with Anti-Fingerprint Design Ductless Hood Vent for Kitchen with 3 Speed Exhaust Fan, Anti-Fingerprint Design, Ducted and Ductless Convertible
The CIARRA Black Range Hood 30-inch is a powerful and quiet ventilation system for your kitchen. With a 450 CFM capacity, it effectively removes smoke and odors, while the quiet operation makes it a great addition to any kitchen. The hood is designed with anti-fingerprint painting, which is scratch-resistant and easy to clean. The matte sandblasted finish gives it a sleek and modern look.
The hood features a mechanical push button for convenient control and detachable mesh filters with superior filtration that are easy to clean and install. The durable motor system offers excellent support to your ventilation needs, and the hood can be operated in either ducted or ductless mode. If you wish to convert the hood to ductless, you will need to purchase the CACF003 carbon filter.
- Powerful ventilation with 450 CFM capacity.
- Anti-fingerprint painting is scratch-resistant and easy to clean.
- Mechanical push-button control for convenience.
- Detachable mesh filters with superior filtration.
- Can be operated in either ducted or ductless mode.
- Currently unavailable, with no information on when it will be back in stock.
- A bit expensive compared to other similar range hoods.
- The carbon filter required for ductless operation needs to be purchased separately.
6. Winflo Convertible Stainless
- Premium motor to provide powerful suction operating at 475 CFM air flow (high speed setting); 3-Speed fan levels with delay shut off for the right amount of suction
- Easy to operate and clean touch sensor control panel with time display; Easy removable dishwasher safe aluminum mesh filters
- 2 Bright energy saving soft white LED lights to illuminate your cooking area; quiet operation keeps noise level less than 65db at high speed
- Adjustable and telescoping chimney can fit 7.5 Ft. - 8.5 Ft. ceiling, chimney extension for high ceiling is also available for purchase (part# WRHCE03); Installation and mounting hardware, flexible duct work, damper and plug are all included for easy installation
- Vent location is on the top, connected to flexible duct work, can vent through ceiling or wall for vent out (ducted) installation; 3 year limited on parts warranty; convertible design, can be ducted and non-ducted (with charcoal filters WRHF004S2, sold separately)
- Steel Wall Mount Range Hood with Aluminum Mesh Filters and Touch Sensor Control
The Winflo 30 In. The convertible Stainless Steel Wall Mount Range Hood is a premium kitchen appliance that provides powerful and efficient air ventilation. With a high-speed setting of 475 CFM airflow, this range hood is designed to offer a quiet operation with noise levels of less than 65 dB. The touch sensor control panel with a time display makes it easy to operate and clean, while the removable aluminum mesh filters are dishwasher-safe for added convenience.
In addition, this range hood features two bright energy-saving LED lights to illuminate your cooking area and an adjustable and telescoping chimney that can fit between 7.5 ft. - 8.5 ft. ceilings. If you have a higher ceiling, a chimney extension is also available for purchase. This range hood comes with all the necessary installation and mounting hardware, including flexible ductwork, damper, and plug, to make installation simple and easy.
- High-speed setting with 475 CFM air flow for powerful ventilation.
- Easy-to-use touch sensor control panel with time display.
- Bright energy-saving LED lights for added convenience.
- Adjustable and telescoping chimney fits 7.5 ft. – 8.5 ft. ceilings.
- Comes with all necessary installation hardware and a 3-year limited warranty on parts.
- Currently unavailable and no information on when it will be back in stock.
- Style without charcoal filters is the only option available.
- Some customers have reported issues with the touch sensor control.
7. Comfee Ducted Pyramid Range
- 【450 CFM Strong Suction】 High-quality ductless range hood with 3 –speed exhaust fan provides up to 450CFM air suction for your cooking fumes, while keeping the noise low.
- 【STAINLESS STEEL & IDEAL SIZE 】 All stainless steel body and ideal sizes fit your cabinet perfectly and saves space. Great for condos and apartments. Product Dimensions: 30 W*18.6D & Adjustable Chimney from 26.4 to 35.8“
- 【5-Layer Reusable Aluminum Filter】 The 5-layer aluminum filter effectively removes grease and cooking odors. Also, being easily detached and dishwasher safe, it can always sustain its optimal efficiency.
- 【INSTALLATION】 For installation you may follow the step-by-step instructions in the user manual or reference the Comfee installation videos. Or you may choose to have the installation and electrical wiring done by qualified professionals. Please use 6 inches (150mm) diameter exhaust duct. If you would like to convert your range hood to ductless, you will need to purchase The Comfee 2 Pack Carbon Filter Kit separately: Part # CVP/CVG-CF (Please search B09C74226L on Amazon.)
- 【 What's In The Box】 This Range Hood package includes (2) Aluminum Filter Filters, (2) Adjustable Stainless Steel Decorative Cover and (1) Screw Pack. NOT INCLUDED: (For Ductless Installation: The Comfee 2 Pack Carbon Filter Kit can be purchased separately: Part # CVP/CVG-CF (Please search B09C74226L on Amazon.)
- 【1 YEAR WARRANTY】We provide 1 year manufacturer warranty together with your purchase. If you have any questions, please refer to the customer service information in the user manual.
- 450 CFM Stainless Steel Wall Mount Vent Hood with 3 Speed Exhaust Fan, 5-Layer Aluminum Permanent Filters, Two LED Lights, Convertible to Ductless, 30 inches
The Comfee CVP30W6AST is a high-quality ducted or ductless pyramid range hood with a stainless steel body and a brushed finish. It measures 30 inches in width, 14.6 inches in depth, and 22.4 inches in height and fits perfectly under your cabinet, saving space in your kitchen. The hood comes with a 3-speed exhaust fan that provides strong suction of up to 450 CFM, effectively removing cooking fumes and odors. The 5-layer aluminum filter is reusable, easily detachable, and dishwasher safe, ensuring optimal efficiency.
The range hood is easy to install, with step-by-step instructions provided in the user manual, or you can choose to have it installed by qualified professionals. It requires a 6-inch (150mm) diameter exhaust duct for installation. If you want to convert it to ductless, you will need to purchase the Comfee 2-Pack Carbon Filter Kit separately. The package includes 2 aluminum filters, 2 adjustable stainless steel decorative covers, and a screw pack.
- The strong suction of up to 450 CFM.
- Stainless steel body with a brushed finish.
- 5-layer reusable aluminum filter.
- Space-saving design fits perfectly under the cabinet.
- Easy to install with step-by-step instructions.
- Carbon filter kit sold separately for ductless conversion.
- May need professional installation.
- Only one size is available (30 inches).
8. Empava Wall Mount Range
The Empava Wall Mount Range Hood is a high-quality ventilation system for your kitchen, designed to efficiently remove smoke, heat, and cooking odors from your cooking area. This 30-inch hood is made from 18-gauge stainless steel, which provides excellent resistance to corrosion and rust, and is finished with a handcrafted brushed satin finish to prevent dents and scratches, ensuring long-lasting use in your busy kitchen.
The range hood features a powerful 3-speed fan with a maximum airflow of 400 CFM, which quickly ventilates your kitchen and keeps the noise level below 65 dB, providing a good cooking experience. The ducted exhaust vent and push-button controls make it easy to operate, while the ergonomic control knobs are designed for simplicity and ease. The generous 30-inch width of the hood will catch all the smoke and food particles before they drift to your kitchen, keeping your kitchen fresh and odor-free.
- ETL certified with a 3-year warranty.
- 400 CFM airflow and 3-speed fan.
- Constructed with 18-gauge stainless steel.
- Brushed satin finish for durability.
- Easy to operate with ergonomic control knobs.
- Shipping and import fees may be high for some countries.
- Limited options in terms of style.
- Some users may find it noisy.
9. Ancona AN- CFM Convertible
- Wall-Mount Range Hood: This Ancona range hood combines exceptional performance with easy-to-use features and a design that will beautifully complement any kitchen!
- Stainless Steel Range Hood: Professionally engineered in high grade 430 stainless steel, this range hood comes with aluminum mesh core filters that are dishwasher safe.
- Kitchen Range Hood: Our state-of-the-art 3-speed push button controls combined with our powerful independently tested motor will effectively eliminate smoke, moisture, and cooking aromas leaving the air in your kitchen pure and fresh.
- Pyramid Range Hood: This expertly designed wall-mount pyramid-style range hood features Pure Lights, Ancona’s long-lasting eco-friendly LED lights to illuminate your cooking surface at a fraction of the cost of conventional lights.
- Size and Other Details: The dimensions of the kitchen range hood are 29.3” x 19.6“ x 39.3”. It contains a top venting application (Round 6 in.) and can be converted to an internal recirculation unit with the purchase of a conversion filter kit (sold separately).
- Wall Mount Pyramid Range Hood in White
The Ancona AN-1558 30" 280 CFM Convertible Wall Mount Pyramid Range Hood is a high-quality kitchen appliance that offers both functionality and style. With its professional engineering in high-grade 430 stainless steel and its aluminum mesh core filters that are dishwasher safe, this range hood is both durable and easy to clean. The wall-mount design and pyramid shape adds a touch of elegance to any kitchen, while the state-of-the-art 3-speed push button controls and powerful motor effectively eliminate smoke, moisture, and cooking aromas to keep the air in your kitchen pure and fresh.
The Ancona AN-1558 30" 280 CFM Convertible Wall Mount Pyramid Range Hood also features Pure Lights, Ancona’s long-lasting eco-friendly LED lights that illuminate your cooking surface at a fraction of the cost of conventional lights. With its dimensions of 29.3” x 19.6“ x 39.3”, this range hood is the perfect size for most kitchens.
- High-quality stainless steel construction.
- Aluminum mesh core filters are dishwasher-safe.
- Powerful and effective 3-speed motor.
- LED lights provide efficient and eco-friendly illumination.
- The elegant pyramid design adds style to any kitchen.
- Shipping and import fees may be costly.
- Conversion filter kit for internal recirculation sold separately.
- Only 4.1 out of 5 stars in customer ratings.
How To Choose The Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods | Ultimate Guide 2023
A cooker hood that is considered "quiet" emits only 30 dB(A) at "minimum" output and 55 dB(A) at maximum output. For reference, the decibel level of normal conversation is 60-65 dB. The loudest range hood emits more than 70 dB SPL.
In order to meaningfully compare the noise levels of two cooker hoods, one must first ensure that their minimum and maximum air extraction capacities are approximately the same.
Depending on the interpretation method used, an increase of 3 to 6 dB will double the perceived sound level. Doubling the distance from the noise source (1-2-4-8... meters) away from the noise source, the perceived noise level is halved. It is useful to know this when deciding where to place the dining table.
Efficiency and environmental considerations
When it comes to efficiency and environmental considerations, there is no question that recirculating or benches hoods are the winners. A ventilated range hood takes conditioned air into the house and carries it outside, so the HVAC system has to work overtime to do so. Remember, the air that the hood carries outside is polluted, dirty air, which is bad for the environment.
Non-vented fume hoods are very efficient because they do not require a lot of power to operate. Charcoal and charcoal filters are durable and can be reused for 3-4 months or longer if you do not cook frequently.
Versatility and Mobility
Because recirculating hoods have no plumbing or accessories, they can be installed anywhere in the kitchen. This makes them more mobile and versatile than exhaust hoods. Exhaust hoods have pipes or ducts connected to the back or top of the hood and must be wired to the outside of the house.
Because of this attachment, ventilated range hoods generally take up more space than unvented hoods. Also, the hood should be placed close to the wall to allow the exhaust pipe to have a place to go and not be too conspicuous.
Also Read: Best Electric Tea Kettle for Hard Water
Another important consideration is the amount of cooking and baking you do. If you cook only occasionally, such as a few times a week or a few times a month, an air circulation hood should be sufficient. Even if you cook frequently, an air circulation hood will serve you well as long as you maintain it by changing the filter frequently.
Type of stove you have
One of the biggest concerns is whether or not you can use an exhaust fan on a gas stove. Gas, whether natural gas or propane, produces carbon monoxide, which can be deadly if ingested in large quantities. However, if you are careful and take some precautions, you can reliably operate a gas range with a ventilated hood.
Note, however, that the filters in non-ventilated hoods do not remove carbon monoxide. Therefore, it is advisable to ventilate the kitchen by opening a window or other means to remove carbon monoxide.
Also Read: Best Meat Slicers for Home Use
The size of the hood itself also plays an important role in the selection process. If you have a small kitchen with limited space, you do not want to purchase a huge hood by mistake. They are an eyesore in a small space and will make your kitchen feel cramped. Instead, choose a smaller hood that has enough power for your needs, yet blends in harmoniously with your kitchen.
Lighting is another important consideration when choosing a recirculating cooker hood. Many modern cooker hoods are equipped with LED lighting, which has excellent radiant efficiency. If you have an older kitchen with no interior lighting, lighting is very important. It is also very useful for preparing food and cleaning up afterward.
Finally, the most important factor in choosing a recirculating ventilation hood is budget. You want to spend enough money to get a quality product, but not so much that you cannot afford to maintain it. If you are buying a new hood, chances are you want to make other improvements to your home. Don't spend your entire home improvement budget on one item like a hood.
Also Read: Best Milk Steamer for Home Use
Different Styles of Cooker Food
Chimney Cooker Hood
Chimney cooker hoods have a large funnel with a chimney at the end. This chimney extends to the ceiling and mimics a real fireplace. This chimney is where the flue is housed. Of course, the flue of this chimney need not pierce the ceiling; it can disappear into a hole in the wall, hidden by the shape of the chimney.
Canopy Cooker Hood
The canopy hood is designed as part of the structure overhanging the cooktop. The hood itself can then be concealed by a cupboard or other means. This reduces the visual impact of the hood in the kitchen. In older kitchens with a chimney above the cooktop, the hood may be installed on a foundation and ducted through the roof.
Also Read: Best Pizzelle Makers
Ceiling Cooker Hoods
Ceiling hoods, as you might expect, are embedded directly into the kitchen ceiling. Compared to other types of hoods, it has the advantage of taking up less space. However, they do require modifications to the kitchen, so they are mainly used in new construction and major renovations.
Designer Ceiling Hoods
Some designer kitchen hoods are designed to resemble light fixtures. They hang downwards and catch the smoke and steam from the cooktop. Some can also be mechanically retracted and lowered with the flick of a switch.
Also Read: Best Food Processor for Nut Butters
Island Kitchen Hood
If the stove is built into an island in the center of the kitchen rather than adjacent to a wall, you will need a different type of hood that is independent of the kitchen wall and extends down from the ceiling. This type of hood is imaginatively called an island hood. Large and imposing, an island hood is an eye-catching centerpiece in the kitchen. For those who prefer something a little more modest, a ceiling hood may be the best choice.
Integrated Kitchen Hood
An integrated hood is built into the cabinet above the stove. It is designed to blend in with the rest of the kitchen and usually has a door that can be opened upward when the hood is needed. The difference with canopy hoods is that they are designed to look like a cupboard, rather than being under (in) a kitchen cupboard.
Integrated hoods are ideal for smaller kitchens. Built-in hoods blend in perfectly with the surrounding decor, rather than dominating the room like other types of hoods.
Also Read: Best Blender for Protein Shakes with Ice
Downdraft hoods channel air behind the cooktop rather than sucking it upward. This allows more space above for cupboards, windows, or decorations.
Downdraft extractors usually consist of a panel on the back of the stove that is high enough to see over the rim of the pot. Some can be hidden in the worktop and raised when needed, similar to lowering a retractable ceiling hood.
They are an excellent alternative to island hoods because they do not require a large structure to block the view in the center of the room. They are also aesthetically pleasing when in operation, with smoke being sucked into the fine grooves, creating an interesting inverted waterfall effect.
Also Read: Best Toaster Oven for Baking
Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods | Infographics
Best Recirculating Cooker Hoods | Video Explanation
Do you have a wall suitable for installing a cooker hood?
If you like to cook and want to experiment with different types of food, we recommend an exhaust fan that can effectively remove steam, smoke, and cooking odors. However, the cooker hood must be installed on or near an exterior wall and the duct must be installed outdoors. This should be taken into account from the beginning when designing the kitchen. If this is not possible, you may need to find another solution.
How big does the cooker hood need to be?
Ideally, the hood should be wider than or the same size as the cooking space. However, this is not always possible with designer-style overhead hoods. Many appliance brands sell hoods that match their stove series. If you choose a chimney-style hood between cabinets, you should also check that the chimney is not higher or shorter than the cabinets on either side.
What extraction rate should I choose?
The extraction rate of the hood is often overlooked, but it greatly affects the effectiveness of the hood in the kitchen. If the hood extraction rate is not sufficient for the size of the kitchen, it may take longer to eliminate odors or they may not disappear as easily. All kitchen hood specifications include an m3 per hour figure. This number indicates the amount of air to be processed per hour.
How do you clean and maintain a cooker hood?
Although not a particularly enjoyable task, it is obvious that a cooker hood, being a device designed to capture grease smoke, needs to be cleaned and maintained. Be sure to keep the instruction manual so that you know how to remove parts, and only remove parts when the hood is switched off.
Grease filters, often ceramic or non-woven, should be replaced every 4 to 8 weeks. For recirculating fume hoods, charcoal filters should be replaced every 9 to 12 months. Wire mesh filters should be soaked overnight in hot soapy water to loosen the grease. A toothbrush can be used to get into the mesh and clean it. The hood itself should also be wiped down. If the hood is made of stainless steel, be sure to use a cleaning agent specifically designed for stainless steel. Before assembling the hood, everything should be thoroughly dried.
Are Recirculating Cooker Hoods Any Good?
Recirculating cooker hoods, also known as ductless hoods, can be effective at removing smoke, steam, and cooking odors from your kitchen. However, their performance may vary depending on several factors such as the type of cooking you do, the size of your kitchen, and the model of the hood.
Recirculating hoods work by drawing in the air from your kitchen and filtering it through a series of charcoal or carbon filters that trap grease and other impurities before releasing the cleaned air back into your kitchen. The effectiveness of these filters can depend on their quality and how often they are replaced or cleaned.
One advantage of recirculating hoods is that they are generally easier to install than ducted hoods, which require a vent to the outside. They can also be more energy-efficient since they don't require the same amount of power to move air outside.
However, recirculating hoods may not be as effective as ducted hoods in removing smoke and steam from your kitchen. They may also require more frequent filter replacements, which can be an ongoing expense.
Overall, if you are looking for a more affordable and easy-to-install option for your kitchen, a recirculating cooker hood can be a good choice. However, if you do a lot of heavy cooking or have a larger kitchen, a ducted hood may be more effective in removing smoke and odors from your kitchen.
Which Type Of Cooker Hood Is Best?
The best type of cooker hood for your kitchen will depend on various factors such as the size of your kitchen, the type of cooking you do, your ventilation needs, and your personal preferences. Here are some common types of cooker hoods to consider:
- Ducted hoods: These hoods require a duct to vent the air outside, which can be more effective in removing smoke and odors from your kitchen. They are ideal for larger kitchens or for those who do a lot of heavy cooking.
- Recirculating hoods: Also known as ductless hoods, these hoods filter the air and recirculate it back into your kitchen. They are easier to install and can be more energy-efficient, but they may not be as effective as ducted hoods in removing smoke and steam.
- Island hoods: These hoods are designed to hang over a cooktop located on an island in the kitchen. They are available in ducted and recirculating models and can be a great choice if you have a large kitchen or if you want to create a focal point in your kitchen.
- Wall-mounted hoods: These hoods are mounted on the wall above the cooktop and are available in ducted and recirculating models. They are a good choice if you have limited space in your kitchen or if you prefer a more traditional look.
- Built-in hoods: These hoods are integrated into the cabinets above the cooktop and can provide a streamlined look. They are available in ducted and recirculating models and can be a good choice if you have limited space in your kitchen.
Ultimately, the best type of cooker hood for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as your cooking habits, kitchen size, and ventilation requirements when selecting a cooker hood. It's also a good idea to consult with a professional to ensure that you choose the right hood for your kitchen.
Should I Get Vented Or Recirculating Hoods?
Whether you should get a vented or recirculating hood depends on your kitchen's specific needs and your personal preferences. Here are some factors to consider when making your decision:
- Kitchen layout: If your kitchen is already set up with a venting system that leads to the outside, a vented hood may be the better option as it can more effectively remove smoke, steam, and cooking odors from your kitchen.
- Type of cooking: If you do a lot of heavy cooking or use a lot of high-heat cooking techniques, such as frying, a vented hood may be more effective in removing smoke and grease from the air.
- Energy efficiency: Recirculating hoods can be more energy-efficient as they don't require a venting system, which can lead to energy loss through the vent.
- Installation: Recirculating hoods can be easier to install as they don't require a venting system. They are a good option if you have limited space or are unable to install a venting system.
- Maintenance: Recirculating hoods require regular maintenance, such as filter replacements, to ensure that they are effectively removing impurities from the air. Vented hoods require less maintenance as they don't have filters to replace.
Ultimately, the decision to get a vented or recirculating hood comes down to your specific needs and preferences. It's important to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each type of hood and consider your kitchen's layout, the type of cooking you do, and your energy efficiency and maintenance requirements before making a decision.
What Is The Difference Between A Recirculation And a Ventilation Hood?
A recirculation hood and a ventilation hood are two different types of kitchen hoods that function in different ways to remove smoke, steam, and cooking odors from your kitchen.
A recirculation hood, also known as a ductless hood, works by drawing in the air from your kitchen and filtering it through a series of charcoal or carbon filters. These filters trap grease and other impurities before releasing the cleaned air back into your kitchen. A recirculation hood does not require a vent to the outside and is ideal for kitchens where venting is not possible or not desirable.
A ventilation hood, also known as a ducted hood, works by drawing in the air from your kitchen and expelling it to the outside through a duct or vent. This type of hood is more effective in removing smoke, steam, and cooking odors from your kitchen as it removes the air from your kitchen and exhausts it outside. A ventilation hood requires a venting system to the outside and is ideal for kitchens where venting is possible.
In summary, the main difference between a recirculation hood and a ventilation hood is the way they handle air. A recirculation hood filters the air and releases it back into the kitchen, while a ventilation hood exhausts the air to the outside through a venting system.
Is Extraction Better Than Recirculation?
Extraction and recirculation are two different methods of removing smoke, steam, and cooking odors from your kitchen. Extraction, also known as ventilation, involves drawing in the air from your kitchen and exhausting it to the outside through a vent, while recirculation involves filtering the air and releasing it back into your kitchen.
In general, extraction is considered to be more effective in removing smoke, steam, and cooking odors from your kitchen than recirculation. This is because extraction hoods remove the air from your kitchen and exhaust it outside, whereas recirculation hoods filter the air and release it back into your kitchen. As a result, extraction hoods can provide better air quality and ventilation in your kitchen.
However, there are situations where recirculation hoods may be more appropriate. Recirculation hoods are a good choice if you are unable to install a venting system in your kitchen or if you are looking for a more energy-efficient option. They are also easier to install and require less maintenance than extraction hoods.
Ultimately, the choice between extraction and recirculation depends on your specific needs and preferences. Consider factors such as your kitchen layout, the type of cooking you do, and your ventilation requirements when selecting a cooker hood. It's also a good idea to consult with a professional to ensure that you choose the right hood for your kitchen.
Do Recirculating Cooker Hoods Get Rid Of Steam?
Recirculating cooker hoods are designed to remove smoke, cooking odors, and some steam from your kitchen. However, they may not be as effective as extraction hoods in removing steam from your kitchen.
Recirculating hoods work by drawing in the air from your kitchen and passing it through a series of filters to trap impurities before releasing the cleaned air back into your kitchen. While these filters can capture some steam, they may not be as effective as extraction hoods in removing larger amounts of steam.
Extraction hoods, on the other hand, work by drawing in the air from your kitchen and expelling it to the outside through a vent. This method is generally more effective in removing steam from your kitchen as it removes the steam from the kitchen and exhausts it outside.
That being said, recirculating hoods can still be effective in removing some steam from your kitchen. It's important to select a hood that is appropriate for your kitchen size and the amount of steam you generate during cooking. Regular cleaning and maintenance of your cooker hood filters can also help to ensure that they are functioning effectively.
What Is The Disadvantage Of Range Hood?
While range hoods offer many benefits in terms of air quality and kitchen ventilation, there are some potential disadvantages to consider. Here are a few:
- Noise: Range hoods can be noisy, especially if they have high-powered fans. This can be bothersome if you spend a lot of time in your kitchen or have an open-concept living area.
- Installation: Range hoods can be difficult and expensive to install, especially if you need to install a venting system. This may require professional installation, which can add to the cost.
- Maintenance: Range hoods require regular maintenance to ensure that they are functioning effectively. This includes cleaning the filters and removing any buildup of grease or other impurities.
- Energy consumption: Range hoods can be energy-intensive, especially if they have high-powered fans or require a lot of electricity to run. This can add to your energy bills and may not be as energy-efficient as other ventilation options.
- Design: Range hoods can be bulky and may not fit well with certain kitchen designs or aesthetics. This can be a concern if you are looking for a more seamless look in your kitchen.
Overall, while range hoods offer many benefits, it's important to consider the potential disadvantages before making a decision. Consider factors such as noise, installation, maintenance, energy consumption, and design when selecting a range hood that is right for your kitchen.
When Should You Use Recirculate?
Recirculating hoods can be a good choice in certain situations where venting to the outside is not possible or desirable. Here are some scenarios where you may want to use a recirculating hood:
- No ductwork: If your kitchen does not have ductwork or an existing venting system, it may be difficult or costly to install one. In this case, a recirculating hood can provide effective ventilation without the need for a venting system.
- Rental properties: If you are renting a property or live in an apartment where you are unable to modify the existing ductwork, a recirculating hood can provide effective ventilation without the need for ductwork.
- Energy efficiency: Recirculating hoods can be more energy-efficient than extraction hoods, as they do not require the energy to expel air to the outside. This can be a good choice if you are looking to reduce your energy consumption or if you live in a climate where energy costs are high.
- Environmental concerns: If you are concerned about the environmental impact of venting to the outside, a recirculating hood can be a good choice. Recirculating hoods do not release air pollutants outside and can be a more environmentally-friendly option.
- Personal preference: Finally, some people may prefer the convenience and simplicity of a recirculating hood. They are easy to install and require less maintenance than extraction hoods, which may be a consideration for some homeowners.
Overall, recirculating hoods can be a good choice in certain situations where venting to the outside is not possible or desirable. Consider your specific needs and preferences when selecting a hood for your kitchen.
Do Recirculating Cooker Hoods Need A Chimney?
Recirculating cooker hoods do not require a chimney, as they do not expel air to the outside like extraction hoods do. Instead, recirculating hoods filter the air and recirculate it back into the kitchen.
Recirculating hoods typically have a series of filters that trap impurities and particles, such as grease, smoke, and cooking odors. These filters are designed to be easily removed and cleaned or replaced, depending on the type of hood.
Because recirculating hoods do not require a chimney or vent to the outside, they are often easier and less expensive to install than extraction hoods. However, it's important to ensure that the hood is the appropriate size for your kitchen and that the filters are regularly cleaned or replaced to ensure effective ventilation.
When Would You Use A Recirculation System?
A recirculation system can be used in situations where venting to the outside is not possible or practical. Here are a few scenarios where a recirculation system may be a good option:
- No existing venting system: If your kitchen does not have an existing venting system or ductwork, it may be difficult or costly to install one. In this case, a recirculation system can provide effective ventilation without the need for a vent to the outside.
- Rental properties: If you are renting a property or live in an apartment where you are unable to modify the existing ductwork, a recirculation system can provide effective ventilation without the need for ductwork.
- Energy efficiency: Recirculation systems can be more energy-efficient than extraction systems, as they do not require the energy to expel air to the outside. This can be a good choice if you are looking to reduce your energy consumption or if you live in a climate where energy costs are high.
- Environmental concerns: If you are concerned about the environmental impact of venting to the outside, a recirculation system can be a good choice. Recirculation systems do not release air pollutants outside and can be a more environmentally-friendly option.
- Personal preference: Finally, some people may prefer the convenience and simplicity of a recirculation system. They are easy to install and require less maintenance than extraction systems, which may be a consideration for some homeowners.
Overall, a recirculation system can be a good option in certain situations where venting to the outside is not possible or desirable. It's important to select a system that is appropriate for your kitchen size and the amount of steam and odors you generate during cooking, and to regularly clean or replace the filters to ensure effective ventilation.
In conclusion, a recirculating cooker hood is an excellent option for those who cannot install a ducted hood in their kitchen. The best recirculating cooker hoods offer powerful suction and filtration, effectively removing smoke, steam, and cooking odors from the air. When selecting a recirculating cooker hood, consider the size of your kitchen, the type of cooking you do, and the features that will best suit your needs. With proper research and consideration, you can find a high-quality recirculating cooker hood that will keep your kitchen clean and fresh while enhancing its overall functionality.
Hi, I’m Jennifer Lawrence, Went to Calhoun High School (Georgia) my goal is to make the kitchen fun by providing a mathematical and logical component to our approach to cooking good food. I look not only at delicious recipes but also at kitchen tools and gadgets to give you the tips and tricks we hope you will find useful. Read More Here
Leave a Reply