One of my favorite jobs when working in a restaurant is wok. It was my first job out of culinary school and I was immediately drawn to the fast, hot style of cooking.
Most cooking methods can be easily replicated in the home kitchen. However, in most cases, woks don’t have the heat needed.
Fortunately, with a powerful outdoor burner, this technique makes sense. So here is our selection of the Best Wok Burner For Outdoors you can buy right now, compared to the features of woks used in restaurants. You’ll be as close to the real thing as possible in your own backyard.
Also Read: Best Ice Cream Maker For Home
Best Wok Burner For Outdoors
Differences between high-pressure propane wok burners and regular propane camping burners
High-powered propane wok burners and normal camping propane burners are different in terms of cooking. If you try to cook a stir fry on a normal low BTU camping propane burner with insufficient heat, you will end up with a stew instead of a stir fry. However, if you want to cook a wok meal and get great results, you need a powerful wok burner with a high BTU rating.
Why BTUs and wattage are important when choosing a wok burner
To find out the wattage of a burner, convert kilowatts to BTU-s using the following formula
1 kilowatt (kW) = 3,412.14 BTU/hr (BTU/hr)
Long-time cooks know that vegetables and meat contain moisture and that this moisture is released from the food during the cooking process. If the temperature is low during the cooking process, more juices are released into the pan, allowing the food to cook in its own juice.
This should be avoided when preparing stir-fries. Food should not be cooked in its own juices. Instead, higher power and temperatures are needed to avoid this. This is where wok burners come in. Wok burners can eliminate this effect by producing huge amounts of energy in seconds. That’s why a high-powered wok burner is a must for stir-frying. These wok burners are also known as wok burners or Thai wok burners.
Benefits of outdoor woks
The main function of a wok burner is to produce a large amount of heat for very quick frying or cooking. A standard stove will also be hot, but not as hot as the power of a propane-only wok. Outdoor units can reach scorching temperatures in minutes and are built to withstand intense heat.
This high temperature is concentrated at the bottom of the wok and shifts to lower temperatures as you move up the side walls. These radically different cooking zones are what distinguish outdoor woks from their indoor counterparts.
Woks with rounded bottoms and slightly flared edges are difficult to handle and tend to tip over when used on a regular stovetop. A well-designed wok burner can make using a wok safer and more enjoyable. Outdoor woks also have a larger cooking surface and are easier to use than vertical western woks. It is also possible to use a propane burner as a wok, but then it becomes a makeshift tool.
Finally, because of their location, outdoor woks don’t fill the house with smoke or splatter the kitchen with oil. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to clean the floor, walls, stove and even the ceiling after using an indoor wok. Cooking in the backyard has tremendous advantages.
So, an outdoor wok is a very useful tool that will help you create delicious Asian-inspired dishes at your next barbecue.
Best Wok Burner For Outdoors | Comparison Table 2023
5-Stars Pick | Great Prices | High Quality
|Eastman Outdoors 90411 Portable Kahuna Burner with XL Pot and Wok Brackets with Adjustable and Removable Legs, Black, Pack of 1||Eastman Outdoors||Check Price|
|Bayou Classic SP10 14-in High Pressure Cooker Features 14-in Cooking Surface 12.5-in Tall Welded Frame 4-in Cast Aluminum Burner 10-psi Regulator w/ 48-in Stainless Braided Hose||Bayou Classic||Check Price|
|GasOne Square Heavy Duty Single Burner Outdoor Stove Propane Gas Cooker with Adjustable 0-20Psi Regulator & Steel Braided Hose Perfect for Home Brewing, Turkey Fry, Maple Syrup Prep||GasOne||Check Price|
|Goplus Outdoor Camp Stove High Pressure Propane Gas Cooker Portable Cast Iron Patio Cooking Burner w/Detachable Legs Great for Camping, Patio, or RV (Single-Burner 100,000-BTU)||Goplus||Check Price|
|Bayou Classic KAB4 16-in Bayou Banjo Cooker Features 10-in Cast Iron Burner 16-in Cooking Surface 3/8-in Round Bar Welded Frame 30-psi Adjustable Regulator w/ 48-in Stainless Braided Hose||Bayou Classic||Check Price|
|King Kooker 24WC 12" Portable Propane Outdoor Cooker with Wok, 18.5" L x 8" H x 18.5" W, Black||King Kooker||Check Price|
|Eastman Outdoors 37212 Outdoor Gourmet 22 Inch Carbon Steel Wok Kit,Black & Steel||Eastman Outdoors||Check Price|
|Stansport Single Burner Propane Stove 10,000 BTUs (201)||Stansport||Check Price|
|Single Burner Camp Stove with Cast Iron Burner, Wok Included||Stansport||Check Price|
Prices and images pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Best Wok Burner For Outdoors | Reviews 2023
1. Eastman 90411 Portable Wok Burner For Outdoors
- TURN UP THE HEAT – 65,000 BTU Clean-burning, fuel-saving Revolution Burner, exceeds industry standards! Burns hotter, cleaner and more efficient than other burners
- SAFETY FIRST – Includes CSA-approved adjustable propane regulator and hose with burner safety shut off. Ensures safe flow of pressure and gas
- HEAVY DUTY – Handles Woks up to 18” diameter and Pots up to 36 Quarts. Durable wok brackets support your wok and pots with a sturdy hold
- ADJUSTABLE, PORTABLE – Legs easily adjust from 18” for large pots and up to 26” ideal for woks, skillets and smaller pots. Legs are totally removable for compact storage
- EASY TO USE – Perfect for backyard cooking, camping, tailgating and more, just attach the legs and hook the hose up to a propane tank (not included), and you’re ready to go! For outdoor use only
- with XL Pot and Wok Brackets with Adjustable and Removable Legs, Black, Pack of 1
The Eastman Outdoors 90411 Portable Kahuna Burner is a powerful and versatile cooking tool that is perfect for backyard cooking, camping, tailgating, and more. With a 65,000 BTU clean-burning, fuel-saving Revolution Burner, this burner exceeds industry standards and burns hotter, cleaner, and more efficiently than other burners. The burner comes with a CSA-approved adjustable propane regulator and hose with a burner safety shut off, ensuring the safe flow of pressure and gas.
This burner is heavy-duty and can handle woks up to 18 inches in diameter and pots up to 36 quarts. The durable wok brackets support your wok and pots with a sturdy hold, and the legs are easily adjustable from 18 inches for large pots and up to 26 inches, making it ideal for woks, skillets, and smaller pots. The legs are also totally removable for compact storage, making it easy to transport and set up.
- High BTU output provides efficient and powerful heating.
- Safety features such as CSA approved adjustable propane regulator and burner safety shut off.
- Heavy duty design can handle large pots and woks.
- Adjustable and removable legs for easy setup and storage.
- Perfect for outdoor cooking and events.
- Does not include a propane tank.
- The wok bracket may not hold woks of larger diameter securely.
- Some users have reported difficulty in assembling the burner.
Also Read: Best Electric Tea Kettle for Hard Water
2. Bayou Classic SP10 14-in High Pressure Wok Burner For Outdoors
- 4-in Cast Aluminum Burner, 59,000 BTUs
- 14-in Cooking Surface
- 12.5-in Tall Welded Frame
- 360° Windscreen Protection
- Heat Resistant Paint
- 10-psi Pre-Set Regulator w/ Brass Control Valve
- 48-in Stainless Braided LPG Hose
- Functionally designed for stockpots 14-in diameter to 62-qt
- Cooker Features 14-in Cooking Surface 12.5-in Tall Welded Frame 4-in Cast Aluminum Burner 10-psi Regulator w/ 48-in Stainless Braided Hose
The Bayou Classic Heavy Duty Steel Single Burner High Output Outdoor Stove Propane Gas Cooker is a versatile and durable cooking solution for all your outdoor needs. With a 4-inch cast aluminum burner producing 59,000 BTUs, this cooker is capable of reaching high temperatures, perfect for frying, steaming, and crawfish boils. The 360˚ windscreen will ensure that the heat stays where you want it, making for efficient and even cooking.
Built with a 12.5-inch tall welded steel frame, this cooker is designed to withstand the rigors of outdoor cooking, camping, fishing, brewing, tailgating and emergency preparedness. The sturdy construction makes it easy to transport and move around, ensuring that you can take it with you wherever you go. The cooker is also safe to use, thanks to the 10-psi pre-set regulator with brass control valve and 48-inch stainless braided LPG hose included, which creates a secure connection to your propane tank for safe and reliable performance.
- High heat output of 59,000 BTUs
- Heavy duty construction for outdoor use
- Portable and easy to transport
- Safe with 10-psi pre-set regulator and secure connection
- Functional with a 14-inch cooking surface for stockpots up to 14 inches in diameter
- Only has one burner
- May not be suitable for windy conditions
- May not be suitable for very large groups.
3. GasOne Square Heavy Duty Single Burner: Top Wok Burner For Outdoors
- Portability - portable cast iron one burner camp stove, sturdy and durable design, made of cast iron long lasting and good for projects
- High heat output- fully adjustable heat-control regulator knob, power with Control
- Heavy Duty - Perfect for brewing, camping, fishing, outdoor cooking, emergency preparedness, etc. , strong and long lasting
- Safety- heat adjustable regulator included for use with propane tank, hose included for attaching to propane tank, o-ring installed on regulator to ensure that there is no gas leakage (it is possible to tighten by hand, but is advisable to use tools in order to tighten)
- Steel Braided hose - 0-20 psi adjustable regulator with Steel braided hose included to use with propane tank
- Outdoor Stove Propane Gas Cooker with Adjustable 0-20Psi Regulator & Steel Braided Hose Perfect for Home Brewing, Turkey Fry, Maple Syrup Prep
The GasOne Square Heavy Duty Single Burner Outdoor Stove is a portable and durable cooking solution for outdoor enthusiasts and home brewers alike. Made with a metal frame and a cast iron burner, this stove is built to last and withstand the elements. Measuring 15.5 inches in length, 15.5 inches in width, and 12 inches in height, it is compact and easy to transport for camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities.
The stove features a fully adjustable heat-control regulator knob, allowing for precise temperature control and high heat output. This makes it perfect for brewing, frying turkey, or preparing maple syrup. Additionally, the stove is equipped with a safety feature to prevent gas leakage, with an o-ring installed on the regulator that can be tightened by hand or with tools.
The package also includes a steel braided hose with an adjustable 0-20 psi regulator for attaching to a propane tank. This makes it easy to set up and use, with no need for additional equipment.
- Portable and durable design made of cast iron.
- Fully adjustable heat-control regulator knob for precise temperature control.
- Perfect for brewing, camping, fishing, outdoor cooking, and emergency preparedness.
- Safety feature to prevent gas leakage with an o-ring installed on the regulator.
- Includes a steel braided hose with an adjustable 0-20 psi regulator for easy setup.
- Only one burner.
- It’s a bit heavy to move around.
- It’s not suitable for indoor use.
4. Goplus Outdoor Camp Stove High Pressure
- Sturdy Design---This item made by cast iron, which is sturdy enough. Besides, the powder coating makes it is waterproof and anti-rust. This sturdy design allows for immediate use without the headache of a complex set-up.
- Cast-Iron Head---This powerful single burner, equipped with a cast iron head, outputs a whopping BTU of 100000. And it can adjust the firepower to make your cook more delicious.
- Cooking Ability---It is suitable for various types of pot because of burner bracket. So you can enjoy cooking outdoor with your family to have a happy time.
- Detachable Legs---This item has detachable legs that can make it smaller for convenient transportation and storage.
- Safety Use---Heat Adjustable CSA certified regulator included for use with propane tank, Hose included for attaching to propane tank, secure installation ensures no gas leakage. (it is possible to tighten by hand, but is advisable to use tools in order to tighten)
- Propane Gas Cooker Portable Cast Iron Patio Cooking Burner w/Detachable Legs Great for Camping, Patio, or RV (Single-Burner 100,000-BTU)
The Goplus Outdoor Camping Stove is a powerful and versatile option for cooking in the great outdoors. This single-burner stove runs on liquefied petroleum gas and has a maximum energy output of 100,000 British Thermal Units, making it capable of cooking your food quickly and easily. The flame can be adjusted by rotating the knob, giving you precise control over the heat.
One of the standout features of this camping stove is its detachable legs. These legs allow the stove to be used as a countertop stove, making it even more versatile. The detachable legs also make it more convenient for transportation and storage. The stove is made of durable cast iron, which is sturdy enough to hold food and pots. Additionally, the improved high-temperature powder spraying coating ensures that the stove is waterproof and anti-rust, making it built to last.
This camping stove is easy to assemble and comes with clear and brief instructions. A CSA certificated regulator is also included, though a propane tank is not. This gas cooker is perfect for outdoor cooking, such as camping, tailgating, catering, hunting, and more. It's also a great option if you prefer to cook certain foods outside to avoid unwanted smells in your home.
- Powerful cooking ability with 100,000 BTU output.
- Detachable legs for versatility and easy transportation and storage.
- Durable cast iron construction with improved high temperature powder spraying coating.
- Easy to assemble with clear instructions and a CSA certificated regulator included.
- Great for outdoor cooking such as camping, tailgating, catering, hunting, and more.
- Propane tank not included.
- The weight of 15.8 pounds might be heavy to carry around.
- The size of 16″L x 16″W x 30″H might not be compact enough for some users.
5. Bayou Classic KAB4 16- Iron Burner
- 10-in Cast Iron Burner, 164,000 BTUs
- 16-in Cooking Surface, 12.5-in Tall
- 3/8-in Round Bar Welded Frame with Hose Guard
- 360˚ Windscreen Protection
- 30-psi Adjustable Regulator w/ 48-in Stainless Braided LPG Hose
- in Bayou Banjo Cooker Features 10-in Cast Iron Burner 16-in
- Surface 3/8-in Round Bar Welded Frame 30-psi Adjustable Regulator w/ 48-in Stainless Braided Hose
The Bayou Classic KAB4 16-in Bayou Banjo Cooker is a portable cooking device that is perfect for outdoor events and gatherings. It features a 10-inch cast iron burner that generates 164,000 BTUs of heat, making it powerful enough to cook large quantities of food quickly and efficiently. The 16-inch cooking surface provides ample space for preparing and serving food, and the 12.5-inch tall 3/8-inch round bar welded frame with hose guard ensures stability and durability.
One of the key features of this cooker is its 360-degree windscreen protection, which helps to shield the flame from wind and other external factors, ensuring consistent and even heating. Additionally, the cooker comes with a 30-psi adjustable regulator and a 48-inch stainless braided LPG hose, making it easy to connect to a propane tank and adjust the flame to your desired level. The hand control touch, provides easy control of the flame and temperature.
- Portable and powerful cooking device
- Large cooking surface
- Durable and stable construction
- 360-degree windscreen protection
- Adjustable regulator and easy-to-use flame control
- No indication of price
- It needs propane tank
- No indication of warranty or return policy.
6. King Kooker 24WC 12" Iron Burner
- Sport Type: Camping & Hiking
- Country of origin : United States
- Package weight : 10 Lbs
- Product type : Outdoor Living
- Portable propane outdoor cooker with 24-inch bolt-together frame
- Recessed top ring for secure placement of 18-inch steel wok
- 54,000-BTU CSA-certified cast burner; LP hose and regulator with type-1 connector
- Flame-protective wind guard; deep-fry thermometer; recipes included
- Measures approximately 18-1/2 by 18-1/2 by 27 inches
- Portable Propane Outdoor Cooker with Wok, 18.5 L x 8 H x 18.5 W, Black
The King Kooker 24WC 12" Portable Propane Outdoor Cooker with Wok is a versatile and convenient option for outdoor cooking. The cooker is made of durable steel and is designed to be portable, making it easy to take with you on camping or hiking trips. The black color gives it a sleek and modern look.
The cooker features a 24-inch bolt-together frame that provides a sturdy base for cooking. The recessed top ring allows for secure placement of the 18-inch steel wok, which is included. The burner is CSA-certified and has a 54,000-BTU output, providing ample heat for a variety of cooking tasks. The LP hose and regulator with type-1 connector are included, so you can start cooking right away.
Safety features on this cooker include a flame-protective wind guard and a deep-fry thermometer. The wind guard helps to protect the flame from wind, which can be a common issue when cooking outdoors.
- Portable design for easy transportation.
- Includes a 18-inch steel wok for versatile cooking options.
- 54,000-BTU CSA-certified burner for powerful heating.
- Flame-protective wind guard for added safety.
- Includes deep-fry thermometer for precise temperature control.
- May not be suitable for use in windy conditions.
- Propane tank not included.
- Limited warranty.
7. Eastman Outdoors 37212 Iron Burner
- Big Kahuna propane burner with adjustable legs with propane gas regulator and hose.
- 22-Inch deep dish carbon steel wok with stainless steel wok spoon and spatula
- 12-Inch AccuZone thermometer to maintain proper temperature
- Fits Brinkmann 810-3250-F, 810-3250-W, Evanston . Instruction manual and wok how-to CD
- Outdoor Gourmet 22 Inch Carbon Steel Wok Kit,Black & Steel
The Eastman Outdoors 37212 Outdoor Gourmet Wok Kit is a versatile and durable cooking tool perfect for outdoor entertaining. The kit includes a 22-inch deep dish carbon steel wok, a big Kahuna propane burner with adjustable legs, a propane gas regulator and hose, a stainless steel wok spoon and spatula, and a 12-inch AccuZone thermometer.
The carbon steel wok is designed to withstand high heat and is perfect for stir-frying, deep-frying, and boiling. The stainless steel spoon and spatula are perfect for stirring and flipping food while cooking. The AccuZone thermometer helps you maintain the proper temperature for cooking different types of food.
- Durable carbon steel wok suitable for high heat cooking
- Includes a big Kahuna propane burner with adjustable legs
- Comes with a thermometer for maintaining proper temperature
- Includes stainless steel spoon and spatula for easy food handling
- Includes instruction manual and wok how-to CD for helpful tips and recipes
- It’s only compatible with gas devices
- It’s heavy with a weight of 25 pounds
- The color scheme is black and steel which may not be suitable for some.
8. Stansport Single Burner Propane Stove 10,000 BTUs (201)
- Propane stove with a chrome plated Anti-Clog burner
- 10,000-BTU burner output; regulator with On/Off control knob
- 7.5-inch diameter grid for stability
- DuraBase with tip-resistant feet hold a 16.4-ounce propane gas cylinder (gas cylinder sold separately)
- One-year warranty against manufacturer defects
The Stansport Single Burner Propane Stove is a high-quality outdoor cooking solution that is perfect for camping, tailgating, and other outdoor activities. It is designed to be durable and reliable, and it is made with a chrome-plated anti-clog burner that ensures that it will last for many seasons. The burner output is 10,000-BTUs, and it comes with a regulator with an On/Off control knob that allows you to easily adjust the heat output.
The stove's design is also very stable, thanks to its 7.5-inch diameter grid. The DuraBase with tip-resistant feet hold a 16.4-ounce propane gas cylinder (gas cylinder sold separately) that provides a stable base for the stove and keeps it upright even in windy conditions. The stove is also very portable, as it weighs only 16.4 ounces, which makes it easy to take with you on the go.
One of the best features of the Stansport Single Burner Propane Stove is that it comes with a one-year warranty against manufacturer defects. This means that if you experience any problems with the stove within the first year of ownership.
- Chrome-plated anti-clog burner ensures durability.
- Adjustable 10,000-BTU burner output with On/Off control knob.
- 7.5-inch diameter grid for stability.
- DuraBase with tip-resistant feet for added stability.
- One-year warranty against manufacturer defects.
- Propane gas cylinder sold separately
- Only one burner
- Weight 16.4 oz. may not be suitable for backpacking or hiking.
9. Single Burner Camp Stove with Cast Iron Burner, Wok Included
- 54000 BTU Outdoor Cooker w Wok
- With our advanced camping gear, loaded with the latest innovative technologies, youll be ready to turn your adventure into the trip of a lifetime
- Be prepared for anything with our camping essentials
- 54,000 B.T.U. premium cast burner, Operates up to 15 hours on 20 lb. propane tank
- Easy to use fuel/air mixture levers for optimum cooking performance
- Solid steel frame, Protective flame wind guard, 31 tall
- Solid brass fuel valves for durability and smooth operation
- Includes heavy duty hose, regulator, thermometer, wood utensils and instruction booklet
The Stansport Single Burner Camp Stove with Cast Iron Burner and Wok Included is a versatile and durable camping stove that is perfect for outdoor cooking. With a powerful 54,000 B.T.U. premium cast burner, this stove can operate for up to 15 hours on a 20 lb. propane tank, making it ideal for long camping trips or outdoor events.
One of the standout features of this stove is its easy-to-use fuel/air mixture levers, which allow for optimum cooking performance and control. The solid steel frame and protective flame wind guard provide added stability and safety, while the 31" tall design allows for comfortable cooking. Additionally, the solid brass fuel valves ensure durability and smooth operation.
- Powerful 54,000 B.T.U. burner
- Can operate for up to 15 hours on a 20 lb. propane tank
- Easy-to-use fuel/air mixture levers
- Solid steel frame and protective flame wind guard for stability and safety
- Durable solid brass fuel valves
- not in the list
Also Read: Best Pizzelle Makers
How To Pick The Best Wok Burner For Outdoors | Ultimate Guide 2023
Heat power and actual energy requirements
It takes a lot of power to keep the wok hot and keep adding food. 50,000 BTUs is enough to get the job done, but that's the minimum I would choose. At this level, you may end up with soggy vegetables before they are nicely charred. This is one of the most common problems when using a wok on a griddle.
Once you get above 100,000 BTUs, you enter the realm of professional woks. With that kind of heat and flame, there's no burning and the food is delicious. However, when it comes to using the burner at full blast, you must also exercise caution and restraint.
Choose good materials and solid construction
When using a wok on a powerful flame, the last thing you want to think about is that the whole thing will collapse or even melt.
When it comes to the burner body, cast iron is my material of choice. It is durable and can withstand very high temperatures. However, cast iron burners also add a lot of weight.
If you plan to use the burner for camping or tailgating, you may want to consider a less powerful model like the Bayou Classic. Cast aluminum burners offer less heating power but weight savings.
Size, height and leg design
I may be getting old, but bending over while cooking hurts my back and is just plain uncomfortable.
Choosing a wok with a comfortable height makes it more enjoyable to use and makes you want to use it more often. My overall best choice has a solid four-legged design, but my leveling choice really does have some advantages. The tripod style has a larger footprint, is sturdier and less prone to wobbling.
The burner itself should be large enough to hold and heat the carbon steel wok you are using. Most outdoor burners are designed to hold large pots and woks, such as those used in the kitchen. This means you can use a standard 14-inch wok or a wok larger than 20 inches.
Also Read: Best Meat Slicers for Home Use
Easy access to fuel
Most outdoor burners use a standard 20 pound propane tank. That's because they're portable and readily available in most places you might live. And if you already have an outdoor propane grill, you can easily use the same fuel source between the two units.
If you plan to use your wok burner for activities like camping or tailgating, you'll want to consider the weight and overall size of the unit you choose.
My best overall choice weighs only 15 pounds, but it can't really be disassembled for easy transport. My vest upgrade option, on the other hand, weighs 25 pounds. However, it is fully collapsible, so it can easily fit in any size car or be stored in a closet or shed.
Also Read: Best Toaster Oven for Baking
Cooking over a fire should always be done with extreme caution. The burners on a wok, in particular, are larger and more powerful than those on a standard stove. You should also always assume that the wok handle is extremely hot.
A sturdy set of legs is very important, and all my top picks have you covered in this regard: a four-legged stand is fine if you're cooking on a flat surface. However, if you're cooking on gravel or at a slight angle, a three-legged base offers more stability.
Also Read: Best Food Processor for Nut Butters
Useful accessories and familiar food management
In addition to the wok, a sturdy ladle and spatula are useful. The wok can be used directly on most wok burners, but the addition of a wok ring provides additional stability while cooking.
Cooking at high temperatures in a wok does not last long. Therefore, the best stir-fries are prepared when all the ingredients are on hand. If there is no counter or table in the area where you are cooking, it is recommended to have a simple folding table where you can place the ingredients while cooking.
A wok burner stand is needed to keep the wok at the right height for cooking. If it is too high, hot oil will splash on your face. Also, too low is dangerous and uncomfortable. Waist height or a little higher is about right. It will depend on your height.
You will need a separate propane gas tank. The wok burners I looked at run on propane rather than natural gas. Obviously, they don't come with a propane tank!
If they are light enough, they can be used as portable wok burners. That's an advantage if you're looking for a camping wok burner.
A wok burner should definitely include things like a propane regulator and a stand.
Other than that, a thermometer and a wok can be nice to have. Some people like to assemble their own kits, so it's a personal choice. For me, the starter kit is easier.
If a wok is included, you should check the type of wok. Carbon steel is the best choice. Carbon steel woks are often oiled by the manufacturer. This oil must be cleaned before the wok can be seasoned.
Also Read: Best Blender for Protein Shakes with Ice
A windshield of some sort is really helpful. It is not good for the flame to be blown out by the wind.
However, windscreens can be difficult to install properly. If you shield the flame too much, it will not be visible. Conversely, if you shield the flame too much, it will go out on windy days.
It is also helpful to have a wok stand. This is very important for woks with round bottoms.
If for some reason a round-bottom wok doesn't sit well on the surface, consider buying a wok ring. This is one, but it's worth taking the time to measure and find a ring that works for you.
Also Read: Best Milk Steamer for Home Use
Best Wok Burner For Outdoors | Video Explanation
How much power do I need for my outdoor burner?
Our tests have shown that outdoor burners with the lowest heat output are the best for cooking woks. This is because high-wattage burners have a wider flame and are less efficient.
What size wok should I buy for my outdoor wok burner?
A 14-inch round bottom carbon steel wok is recommended (if it has side handles, they should be metal, not wood).
Do I need an outdoor wok?
Is it absolutely necessary? No. A wok is not essential for outdoor use. However, if you want the smoky flavor of restaurant-style Chinese cooking, it is worth investing in an outdoor wok burner.
Do I need a dedicated burner for my wok?
You can stir-fry a wok on your stovetop, but I recommend an outdoor wok burner for several reasons.
- Stir-frying requires a large amount of heat. This is not possible on a kitchen stove, but an outdoor station allows you to stir fry safely.
- Grilling a wok produces smoke, which is also best done outdoors.
- Frying splashes oil everywhere, so the kitchen should not be contaminated.
- If it is too cold to cook outside, a wok station can still be used in a semi-enclosed space such as a garage.
Are cast iron wok the best choice?
Cast iron has excellent heat retention properties. It is a great way to keep food crisp when stir-frying. However, cast iron is heavy and is not recommended for stir-frying.
What makes a good wok burner?
A good wok burner should have the following features:
- High Heat Output: A good wok burner should have a high heat output, with a minimum of 10,000 BTUs or higher. This ensures that the wok can get hot quickly and maintain the heat required for stir-frying.
- Even Heat Distribution: The burner should distribute heat evenly across the bottom of the wok, without creating hot spots. This helps to prevent food from burning or sticking to the wok.
- Wok Stability: The burner should be designed to support the wok steadily, preventing it from tipping over during cooking. This helps to ensure that the food is cooked evenly and safely.
- Adjustable Flame Control: The flame should be adjustable to allow for precise temperature control during cooking. This helps to prevent the food from burning or overcooking.
- Fuel Efficiency: A good wok burner should be fuel-efficient, which helps to save energy and money. This is especially important for those who do a lot of stir-frying and use the wok burner frequently.
- Easy to Clean: The wok burner should be easy to clean, with removable parts that can be washed and dried easily. This helps to prevent the buildup of grease and dirt, which can affect the burner's performance over time.
- Safety Features: The burner should have safety features such as an automatic shut-off valve, which can prevent gas leaks and accidents. This ensures that the user is safe while using the wok burner.
Are wok burners any good?
Yes, wok burners can be very good for stir-frying and other high-heat cooking methods. Wok cooking requires very high heat to sear the food quickly and create a crisp exterior while keeping the interior tender and juicy. A traditional stove burner may not produce enough heat to achieve this, which is why wok burners are designed to provide higher heat output.
Wok burners are typically powered by gas, which allows for precise temperature control and a more intense heat than electric burners. This makes them ideal for stir-frying, deep-frying, and other cooking techniques that require a high heat source.
Wok burners are also versatile, as they can be used for cooking other types of dishes as well. Many models are designed to accommodate a variety of cookware sizes and shapes, allowing for greater flexibility in the kitchen.
However, it's important to note that wok burners can be more expensive than traditional stovetops, and they may require a dedicated gas line or installation by a professional. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of cooking, as the high heat output can cause certain ingredients to burn or cook unevenly if not carefully monitored.
What kind of burner for a wok?
The best type of burner for a wok is a high-heat burner, specifically designed for wok cooking. These burners typically have a high BTU (British Thermal Units) output and are powered by gas, which allows for precise temperature control and intense heat that is necessary for successful stir-frying and other high-heat cooking techniques.
There are different types of high-heat burners available for wok cooking, including standalone burners that can be placed on a countertop or outdoor grill, as well as burners that can be built into a cooktop or range. Some burners are designed specifically for use with traditional round-bottomed woks, while others can accommodate flat-bottomed woks or other types of cookware.
When choosing a burner for a wok, it's important to consider the size and type of wok you'll be using, as well as your cooking needs and preferences. Additionally, it's important to make sure that the burner is safe, reliable, and easy to use, with features such as adjustable flames and stable wok support.
How many BTUs are good for a wok burner?
For a wok burner, a good BTU (British Thermal Unit) range is typically between 12,000 to 18,000 BTUs or higher. This is because wok cooking requires very high heat to quickly sear food and create a crispy exterior while keeping the interior tender and juicy.
A burner with a higher BTU output will produce more heat, which can be useful for cooking large quantities of food or for achieving a more intense sear. However, it's important to note that a burner with a very high BTU output can also be more difficult to control and may require more careful monitoring to prevent food from burning or overcooking.
Ultimately, the ideal BTU output for a wok burner will depend on the individual's cooking needs and preferences. Some people may prefer a lower BTU output for more precise temperature control, while others may prefer a higher BTU output for more intense heat. It's important to choose a burner that meets your specific needs and allows you to achieve the desired results with your wok cooking.
Which wok is better carbon steel or aluminum?
Both carbon steel and aluminum woks have their advantages and disadvantages, so the choice between the two will depend on your cooking needs and preferences.
Carbon steel woks are a popular choice for stir-frying because they are lightweight, durable, and have excellent heat conductivity. They can also develop a natural non-stick surface over time with proper seasoning, which makes them ideal for cooking with less oil. However, carbon steel woks require more maintenance than other types of woks, as they need to be seasoned regularly and should not be washed with soap or left wet to prevent rusting.
Aluminum woks, on the other hand, are lightweight, easy to clean, and can heat up quickly. They are also non-reactive, which means they won't react with acidic ingredients like tomatoes or vinegar. However, aluminum is not as durable as carbon steel and can scratch or dent easily, especially when using metal utensils. Aluminum can also discolor or warp with prolonged exposure to high heat.
Overall, both carbon steel and aluminum woks can be good choices depending on your cooking needs and preferences. If you prioritize durability, heat conductivity, and a naturally non-stick surface, then a carbon steel wok may be a better choice for you. If you prioritize lightweight, ease of use, and quick heat-up time, then an aluminum wok may be a better choice for you.
What are the disadvantages of a wok?
While woks are a versatile and useful cooking tool, they do have some disadvantages that are important to consider:
- Size: Woks are generally larger than other types of cookware, which means they require more storage space and can be difficult to fit into smaller kitchens.
- Shape: The rounded bottom of a traditional wok can be unstable on a flat stovetop, making it necessary to use a wok ring or specialized burner to keep it stable during cooking.
- High heat: Wok cooking requires high heat, which can be difficult to achieve on a conventional stovetop. This means that a specialized wok burner may be necessary, which can be expensive and require professional installation.
- Stir-frying technique: Stir-frying requires a specific technique that can take some practice to master. Additionally, the high heat can make it difficult to control cooking times and prevent food from burning or overcooking.
- Maintenance: Carbon steel woks require regular seasoning and can rust if not properly cared for. They also should not be washed with soap, which can make cleaning more difficult.
- Limited versatility: While woks are great for stir-frying, they may not be the best choice for other types of cooking, such as simmering or baking.
Overall, while woks can be a great addition to any kitchen, they do have some drawbacks that should be considered before purchasing and using one.
What is the difference between a wok burner and a normal burner?
The main difference between a wok burner and a normal burner is the amount of heat output and the shape of the burner.
Wok burners are specifically designed for cooking with woks and other high-heat cooking techniques. They typically have a higher BTU (British Thermal Unit) output than normal burners, which allows them to produce a more intense heat that is necessary for successful stir-frying and other high-heat cooking techniques. Wok burners are also designed with a wider and more open flame pattern to distribute heat more evenly across the bottom of the wok.
Normal burners, on the other hand, are designed for general cooking purposes and do not have the same high-heat output or flame pattern as wok burners. They are typically smaller and have a more concentrated flame pattern that is better suited for lower-heat cooking techniques like simmering, boiling, and sautéing.
In addition, wok burners may have specialized features such as adjustable flames and stable wok support, which are not typically found on normal burners.
Overall, the main difference between a wok burner and a normal burner is the amount of heat output and the specialized design for cooking with a wok. Wok burners are designed to provide a high-heat, even flame pattern that is ideal for stir-frying and other high-heat cooking techniques, while normal burners are designed for general cooking purposes and may not provide the same level of heat output or flame pattern required for successful wok cooking.
Which burner is best for boiling?
For boiling, a burner with a high heat output is ideal as it will allow the water to come to a boil quickly and maintain a rolling boil. Gas burners are generally better for boiling than electric burners, as they can heat up quickly and provide more precise heat control.
If you're using a gas stove, a burner with a higher BTU (British Thermal Unit) output will be more effective for boiling. Look for a burner with a BTU output of at least 10,000 or higher. Some gas stoves also have a power burner or a high-heat burner that is designed specifically for boiling and other high-heat cooking techniques.
If you're using an electric stove, look for a burner with a high wattage output, ideally above 2,500 watts. Electric coil burners may be less efficient for boiling than electric smooth-top or induction burners, which can heat up quickly and provide more precise temperature control.
Overall, the best burner for boiling will depend on the type of stove you have and the specific burner features, such as heat output and size.
How powerful is a wok burner?
Wok burners are typically more powerful than standard burners, with BTU (British Thermal Unit) outputs ranging from 30,000 to 160,000 BTUs or even higher. The exact power of a wok burner will depend on the specific model and manufacturer, but generally, a higher BTU output means that the burner can provide a higher heat output and can reach higher temperatures more quickly.
Some high-end wok burners can have BTU outputs of up to 250,000 BTUs, which is extremely powerful and can generate intense heat that is ideal for stir-frying and other high-heat cooking techniques.
It's important to note that wok burners are designed to be used with woks and other high-heat cooking techniques, and may not be suitable for all types of cooking. Additionally, the intense heat output of a wok burner can be dangerous if not used properly, so it's important to follow all safety precautions and use the burner as directed by the manufacturer.
Hope You Like Our Guide!
Hi, I’m Jennifer Lawrence, Went to Calhoun High School (Georgia) my goal is to make the kitchen fun by providing a mathematical and logical component to our approach to cooking good food. I look not only at delicious recipes but also at kitchen tools and gadgets to give you the tips and tricks we hope you will find useful. Read More Here
Leave a Reply