Mexican style rice with diced onions, tomatoes and lots of garlic is very good. You can use it as a side dish for tacos or as a base for taco bowls. Best of all, you can make Mexican rice in a rice cooker!
Mexican rice is not traditionally prepared in a rice cooker, so it cannot be called authentic Mexican rice, but personally I prefer it because it is easy to prepare, although there are many different ways to do it. This rice can also be called Spanish rice or red rice. It is a great side dish for tacos.
Also Read: How to Keep Green Bananas From Ripening
How to make Mexican Rice in a Rice Cooker | Ultimate Guide 2022
Mexican rice recipe in a rice cooker
A very easy Mexican side dish to prepare in a rice cooker.
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 3 1/8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (if rice is dry, use 1/4 to 1/3 cup less)
- 4.5 oz. tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 oz. canned green chilies, diced
- Pinch of fresh black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- First, apply cooking oil to the bottom of the rice cooker.
- Then, wash the rice and drain it.
- Place the rice in the rice cooker.
- Next, add Knorr Seasoning, tomatoes, onions and salsa.
- Stir well.
- Then cover with 2 cups of water.
- Cook the rice according to the rice cooker settings.
How to cook rice with a rice cooker
Measure the rice
Brown rice, white rice, black rice, basmati rice, any rice will do. Your rice cooker knows what to do, trust me.
Wash the rice. This step is optional, but it will result in a fluffier rice with a more defined grain.
Put the rice in the rice cooker
Measure the water and add it to the rice cooker. How much water?
Depending on the type of rice, use the same amount of water or liquid as for cooking on the stovetop.
Also Read: How to Slice Cheese Thinly
Turn the stove to the boil or cook position
If you have a fuzzy Logic rice cooker or a multi-cooker, simply select the program that corresponds to the type of rice you are preparing.
Now let’s cook the rice
How long does it take? That depends on the rice cooker and how much liquid you put in. However, it always seems to take longer than expected. The water usually boils faster on the griddle.
Also Read: How to Use a Wok On a Gas Stove
Ask and see
When the rice is cooked, the special ball hidden on the rice cooker switches to HOT and the light changes. Some rice cookers beep or play a little song. Inexpensive rice cookers may make a “click” sound, but that’s all it takes.
Open the lid and check the rice
It will still be cooked. Ho ho ho, it’s magic. The rice will be fluffy and steaming about 10 minutes after the unit is switched to keep warm (the same goes for rice cooked on the stovetop).
Eat when it’s ready to eat
Turn on the rice cooker and the rice waits patiently at the right temperature. Goldilocks will also be hooked. This is the great appeal of rice cookers. Yes, you can let the rice sit for hours and hours on the keep warm setting!
- If you’re making dinner, cook the rice first. Set it and you won’t forget. Prepare other dishes while the rice is cooking, such as a curry, stir-fry, vegetables or steak.
- Many rice cookers come with plastic measuring cups. Although rice cookers come with plastic measuring cups, they do not actually measure a cup of rice. It is used to determine the ratio, for example 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water.
- If the rice cooker has a steam vent in the lid, a mist-like substance will escape from the lid. Depending on the type of rice or grain (for example, oatmeal), the steam holes may subtly vaporize and contaminate nearby items.
- The rice cooker falls somewhere between an electric skillet and a slow cooker. If you wish, you can make a simple soup by sautéing onions in the cooker, adding liquid and bringing to a boil. You can also add water and steam it in a steamer.
Also Read: How to Clean BBQ Grill Grates with Ammonia
Spanish Rice (Mexican Rice) Using a Rice Cooker | Video Explanation
Can we use brown rice for Spanish rice?
Of course you can. I prefer to use it. Just add an extra cup of liquid to make it firm. In general, long grain rice tends to be less sticky and each grain has more character, while short grain rice tends to be stickier and more like traditional Spanish rice.
What’s in Easy Spanish Rice?
My recipe calls for 2 cups of rice, 1 can of diced tomatoes, water, 1 onion, broth, chili powder, salt, cumin and garlic powder. Super easy and super tasty.
How much rice per person?
Please prepare ¼ cup of brown rice per person. When cooked, this will make between ¾ cup and 1 cup per person. If your recipe calls for 3 cups of rice, you will need about 12 servings.
What is the best rice for Spanish rice?
We prefer to use long grain white rice. Long grain white rice is fluffy and less sticky than short grain rice.
Can you make Spanish rice with brown rice?
You can use brown rice instead of white rice. Add 2153 cc of water for each cup of brown rice and cook longer until you get the desired texture.
Can I use salsa instead of tomato sauce?
Of course you can. Salsa adds flavor and heat to this sweet rice recipe. You can use it any way you like.
What topping ingredients work best with this rice?
It all depends on you. We often top our rice with peppers, cilantro, onions and scallions.
Can I make Spanish rice in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can. Follow the instructions for the Instant Pot’s rice cooking feature.
How long can I keep Easy Spanish Rice?
This recipe makes enough Spanish rice. Leftover cold rice can be stored in a sealable bag and frozen for up to two months. To thaw the bag, place it in a bowl of hot water and reheat it before serving.
How to reheat it?
If you have leftover Mexican rice, you’re in luck. It will taste even better the next day. Just heat a little oil in a large skillet, add the rice and cook over medium heat, stirring, until it’s heated through and the edges are slightly crispy.
Also Read: How to use a Mandoline Slicer for Zucchini
Hope you enjoy our guide. If you have any question feel free to ask in the comment section below. Happy Shopping!
Hi, I’m Jennifer Lawrence, Went to Calhoun High School (Georgia) my goal is to make the kitchen fun by providing a mathematical and logical component to our approach to cooking good food. I look not only at delicious recipes but also at kitchen tools and gadgets to give you the tips and tricks we hope you will find useful. Read More Here